New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner Auto Focus Binos?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I've read a bit about this feature on their Predator series binos. Anyone have any experience with this "focus once" feature?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it’s great.

I own several pair of Steiners and I wouldn’t trade them for anything else out there. They have incredible resolving power...are bright as can be...and they are the most rugged optics I have ever owned or used.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not "auto focus" or even "one time focus" (Leupold's name for it), and certainly not "fixed focus" (cheapy Asian binocs), but more accurately, INDIVIDUAL FOCUS.

Yes, the I.F. feature is highly desirable for many binocular uses, and especially for hunting.

The mechanical advantages (as opposed to "Center Focus") are:
1. Simpler and more rugged
2. Cheaper to build
3. Easier to seal (make waterproof)
4. Lighter in weight

The user advantages are:

1. MUCH easier to focus by simply focusing each eye, one at a time, in any order. This is as opposed to focusing only the one eye controlled by only the CF first, refocusing the diopter eye, then continuing to fiddle with the focus knob. Neophytes always try to focus the diopter, then the CF, which, of course, moves the diopter, resulting in a never-ending round-robin of constant refocusing.

2. The normal focus is good for most hunting ranges from 30 yards to infinity (how often do you really need your binoculars to see a moose at less than 30 yards?), so the "one time focus" is at least partially true.

3. Most I.F. binos have detents for each eyepiece, so they don't drift. Most CF's are constantly changing focus due to drift or inadvertant movement of the focus knob, so they have to be refocused almost everytime you raise them to your eyes. Incrediby frustrating, and particulary bothersome with those "instant focus" models with the winged rocker-type focuing mechanism, which will NEVER stay in the same place. Kudos, however, to the few manufacturers who have provided a detent or lock on their CF knob.

Now, if your binos are dedicated to bird watching and you want to switch around from bird to bird in a tree only 10 to 30 yards away, then yes, the quick refocus of the CF is needed. But if you ever get ahold of a good IF bino for hunting, you'll never go back.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Thanks for the info. I used the term "auto focus" only because it was on their hang tag, but your description is certainly more accurate as to the actual functioning...

I think they make a 12x40 Predator, which sounds just about right for the open hills of central MT for mulies and antelope...

I also really like the shape of the curved eyecups - very nice...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
Thanks for the info. I used the term "auto focus" only because it was on their hang tag, but your description is certainly more accurate as to the actual functioning...

I think they make a 12x40 Predator, which sounds just about right for the open hills of central MT for mulies and antelope...

I also really like the shape of the curved eyecups - very nice...

Don’t worry...I knew what you meant! Smiler Trust me, if you buy a pair of Steiners you will not be disappointed in any way whatsoever.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner never understood why people carried binoculars until he got a pair of 12x40 predators.

He saw more deer and elk that year than in the previous 3 combined. He alway struggled with the focus of his cheapies and loves not having to fool around with the focus.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of Steiner binos 8x30 Military Marine & a pair of 25x80 Senators, I also own a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42s, Burris Landmarks 8x, and pair of Canon 8x32 WP roof prisms.

The Steiners do have great glass, but for me the individual focus doesn't work at all.

The other problem is the 25x80s don't point at the same object farther than a couple thousand yards. I.E. They really suck for astronamy, "did you know we have two moons Daddy?", or two big dippers?

So I would rather spend my money on something else. If I wanted a pair of similarly priced bonoculars I would look to Nikon or Burris. If I wanted to spend more Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Fujinon.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused about this individual focus and Steiners. On their website

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/downloads/predator.pdf

it says they are center focus. Are some of the Predators individual focus and some center focus or did they just change? Maybe it's just their porro prisms that are individual focus.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Woods,

Only porros from Steiner are individual focus. I never liked it. All it means is every time I want to look at something else I have to refocus. I hated them, with a passion. The individual focus for me never worked!

I think there is better glass for the money but Steiner does make nice Roof prisms.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks D99

You know for $250.00 the Steiner Predator 12x40 would be worth a try. I normally use 12x50 phase coated roof prisms, but would like to give the individual focus and the light spectrum shift for game sensing a try. The field of view @295' is large for a 12x also. Light at 26 oz. Big difference between $850.00 for the roof prisms and $250.00 for the porros.

quote:

I think there is better glass for the money but Steiner does make nice Roof prisms.

What do you recommend?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If you have someplace you can go and play with a pair of Burris Signature 10x50s you might try those. I think they are $300ish. That and they have two inches of eye releif. Top shelf roofs for $300ish.

Nikon makes some good roofs too. Not sure about the models.

I wouldn't pay $850 for a pair of Steiners when you could find a good pair of Swaorvskis, Leicas, or Zeiss used for that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Big difference between $850.00 for the roof prisms and $250.00 for the porros.

Like the CF, the roof prism models are more expensive to build and harder to achieve the same quality image than with the porros. That's not to say that there are no good roofs as there certainly are, but they tend to be pricey.

The 12x40 Steiner porro IF represents a good buy in a hunting binocular. It combines the simplest focusing system with the easiest-to-build optical system. That's why you can get a good binocular for a third the price of something that gives you a similar image.

I agree that there are better binoculars than Steiner, but the model you are interested in is a very cost-effective choice. Too bad more manufacturers don't give us a choice in focusing systems. Unlike D99, all of my hunting companions much prefer the IF to the CF after a few hours of use.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Got one on the way. The old "hole in the head" syndrome, but what's another $250.00!!

Will advise.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The auto focus binos from Stiener are great.

I've been thinking about buying some of the 8x30s but I can't make up my mind which of the two they have to go w/.

They sell the Millitary model for a good bit less $ than the Predators but, they look the same.

Do any of you know the difference? I figured it may be diff coatings or something.

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't compared the MM to others in the Steiner series, but compared to similar mid-price binoculars it doesn't provide as good low-light performance. This causes me to assume that the lenses/coatings are a notch below the others in the Steiner line, but I can't really say. I think that Rick 0311 is a Steiner enthusiast; maybe he'll kick in here and set us straight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once adjusted for my individual eyes, my Steiner 8x30 R models will keep everything from about 50 yards to several miles in very clear focus. Closer or farther away takes nothing more than a very slight movement of each eyepiece adjustment ring...and I’m talking VERY slight.

I normally don’t find myself needing binoculars for things 50 yards away and I am not capable of shooting at targets several miles away, so as far as I’m concerned changing focus isn’t something I really have to worry much about with these binoculars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a set of their 8x56 Night Hunters since 1991 and love them. The IF works great and they really stand by their product. I broke off one of the entire eye piece units and they replaced the binos with a newer version no questions asked and no charge. I love being able to scan a large field or change senderos without having to refocus.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Once adjusted for my individual eyes, my Steiner 8x30 R models will keep everything from about 50 yards to several miles in very clear focus.

With your regular and professional use of optics, you may have a more discerning eye than mine, but my old (25 years) original Leupold Golden Ring 7 x 30 IFs seem to focus sharply from about 30 yards to infinity. If I catch someone fiddling with the eyepieces, they don't get to look through my Leupolds again. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Once adjusted for my individual eyes, my Steiner 8x30 R models will keep everything from about 50 yards to several miles in very clear focus.

With your regular and professional use of optics, you may have a more discerning eye than mine, but my old (25 years) original Leupold Golden Ring 7 x 30 IFs seem to focus sharply from about 30 yards to infinity. If I catch someone fiddling with the eyepieces, they don't get to look through my Leupolds again. Mad

I doubt my eyes are any more discerning than anyone else’s are, but having a photographic back ground I do make a distinction between “sharp†focus, slightly “soft“ focus, and “out of focus.â€

My Steiner’s, when set for my eyes, have everything from about 50 yards to several miles in what I would consider sharp focus...and distances closer and farther I would describe as slightly soft focus but still good enough to distinguish most detail without having to adjust anything. About the only things I would consider to be out of focus at that setting would be those objects closer than about 10 or 15 yards.

So, for all practical purposes I also have everything from from about 30 yards to infinity in “usable†focus ranging from sharp to very slightly soft.