Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon Reflex
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted
Has anyone with any personal exp, used a Reflex site. I'm looking at mounting one on a heavy rifle. I wonder how they hold up. Mounting on a 9.3x74 and a 500-416.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one several years ago which I liked a lot. I much prefer it to the Aimpoint or similar sights for hunting purposes. My favorite thing about it was that the dot was blaze orange and automatically adjusted for ambient light changes. It worked just as well on bright summer days as it did on full moon nights all with no batteries. No rheostat settings to monkey with. The fastest sight I have ever used other than the Eotech. I suspect it would hold up to recoil quite well as it is very sturdy, but have never used it in a big bore capacity.

My dislikes:
1. Most importantly, the lens coating gave a very blue tint to everything and decreased contrast in dimmer conditions. It made shooting small targets at extended ranges very difficult. The newer models "Reflex II" have much less tint so I'm told but haven't looked though one.
2. Dot brightness adjusts to ambient light, but doesn't work well when used at night with artificial light like flashlights.
3. Tritium has a short half-life

All in all, it would be my pick for fast moving game on a bigbore rifle if no lights were to be needed.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havwe a Reflex 2 with the 6.5 MOA dot, on a Weaver adapter. For snap shots at close to medium ranges (out to say 150m or so) they are great. For precision work at distances beyond that, not so good.

Other than that, WESR has pretty well covered what I was going to say, although Trijicon do guarentee the tritium reticle for 10 years. After that, send it back, and they will regas it, apparently...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Thanks. guys I'm going to try one with a 4.5mm dot.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote