THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 1-6x24 SFP - ATSR2 SFP IR MOA

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 1-6x24 SFP - ATSR2 SFP IR MOA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 1-6x24 SFP - ATSR2 SFP IR MOA

A short time ago we sent this scope to the Captain of Top Gun Shooting Sports. Yesterday he sent the following e-mail to me about it and I thought I'd share his thoughts....

"Doug,

Hello and good to hear from you! Hope you had a great summer season out at Camera Land NY.

This is a busy month. Fall Classic out in Central Ozarks Practical Shooters tomorrow and a 330 round PCC match Sunday at work shooting complex. Have the point series 3-gun season finale in a couple weeks, the Monster Match for USO of MO at the end of the month and finish out in Rolla, MO back at COPS for the area 3 multigun championship.

The Cronus has been a great optic for 3 gun so far. I have to say overall for the price range, I'm really happy with the optic and would go so far as impressed.

I found the rings I had initially picked up for it i didn't like, so just ordered a Larue tac QD mount to match what I run with Gen IIs. I would like to get a quick throw cat tail for the zoom and an extended sunshade to screw in the front so I have a more direct comparison to the Vortex while on clock. That's on the to do list for off season as no time at moment.

If I have any complaints about the Cronus thus far, it's all minor. When cranking the dot all the way up, there's quite a bit of red in the perphereal of the optic, which I do not care for, so if I can avoid using 10 or 11 brightness, I do. Another small issue in grand scheme, but rubber seal ring in the battery compartment seems like it could be better engineered. I've had that pop out on one side or other and getting it fished back in around the battery prongs is less than ideal on range. Perhaps on a future model, the cap can have seal built into it? My final critique right now would be that the vortex has pull out, turn and push in lock when setting. With the Cronus you just turn to set, but it seems to hold the setting well so not really a complain, maybe just observation of difference.

Plan to do some side by side swaps between the vortex and the cronus on the same rifle with several different loads, but haven't had time for that level of comparison. Everything I've done has been with two different rifles running each optic and only tested my known good recipes using 55gr Fed's and 77gr SMK slugs. Perhaps more of that in off season. So far out to 400, the Cronus reticle has worked great with my recipes.

BTW, that the reticle on the Cronus is superb in 3 gun! That reticle has really grown on me. The holds are clear, crazy simple to use! It's awesome that the reticle doesn't 'cover' the target at longer ranges. The thing is just dead nuts setup correct! Turrets, eye relief and glass are all solid. I also like that the weight is much lighter on the Cronus as compared to the Vortex.

I'm looking forward to off season testing and stretching it out to 500 and 600 more, but thus far, I'm pleased. This is a real deal contender, and I'm thankful to have the opportunity to put it through its paces. After I test more in off season, the backup rifle may have to swap over as well. Smiler

All the best

Rob Malin
Team Captain - Top Gun Shooting Sports
Sports: 3-Gun, USPSA, Steel, Pins
USPSA A70465
NRA Lifetime Endowment Member"

If we can answer any questions for you please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you.

Have a great day.
Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000, 212-753-5128
Please visit our web site @ Cameras,Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes | Camera Land NY
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote