One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
I am in the market for a 8x56 scope

Schmidt
Zeiss
Swarvoski
Doctor

Has anybody done a side by side ccomparison subjectively .

I am looking for an illuminated reticle

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not a lot to choose between them, and more down to the difference in different users eyes. I can't speak for the 8x56, but with the 6x42 I think the zeiss 6x42 is brighter than the Schmidt - have compared the two side by side in the past. I also recently compared a pair of Swarovski 8x42 bins against my zeiss 7x42 bgat and to my eyes they look brighter. But the owner of the Swarovski thought the opposite.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
The top 3 have exceptional warrantys.

Never sent anything back to Docter. Don't know how they are to deal with.

Zeiss sent me a new in box replacement.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a report some time back that put Nickel at the top of the list for light transmission.

At that stage I'd never seen or played with a Nickel scope as they aren't exactly common. Since that I've had the chance to play with one and was very impressed. It wasn't the 8X56 but was their 3-12X56. I have an 8X56 S&B.

If you are going to spend that sort of money then it would be well worth making the effort to get a look at a Nickel before you make the decision. My guess is that you'll not be disappointed and you might just consider the Nickel an improvement on the more common top notch scopes.