Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout scope question
 Login/Join

posted
What kind of scope is used in a scout scope configuration? I'm finding it very difficult to find anything that is listed as a scout scope. I thought of pistol scopes but with eye relief at about 18 to 26 inches it seems that would be way too long to get a decent field of view. With failing vision I'm trying to scope a Mosin Nagant 91/30 withoutscrewing it up by drilling and tapping and changing the bolt handle. I want to be able to return it to its original condition if I want to at some later date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold and burris make scout scopes.
leupold has one in 2.5 I think and burris has one at 2.75
Check the fixed power section at midway...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two rifles set up "Scout" style, and have used pistol scopes on both of them.
The pistol scopes work.

Don

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
You are going to need a mount as well as a scout scope. I would take a look at the XO/Ashley unit.

I have used both Burris and Leupold scout scopes on scout rifles.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris 2 3/4 IER on my 96. I have had this for 15 years and it is a great set-up. You can use both eyes easily and it didn't require any bolt mods.

Posts: 40 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B-Square used to make a drop in mount for your 96, they may still do.
Leupold M8 2.5 IER is one I can recommend, having used one for about 5 years. Make sure that you order the scope from the factory with the heavy duplex option, if snap shots are your concern. The heavy crosshairs are much easier to pick up in a hurry.
JMHO.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote