New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski ATS 80 cover/accessories
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I scored really well last weekend, and ended up winning a few items in a raffle that I was able to trade in for a new Swarovski ATS 80 with 20-60 eyepiece.

Here's the deal: That's WAY out of my normal budget, I'm usually more a "what's on clearance" kinda buyer. I just got really lucky the way it worked out. Consequently, I need to get a few things to take full advantage of my new optics. I've got pelican cases a plenty for traveling in the truck, a great tripod etc... but I really don't want to pay over $300 for the stay on cover just because it says "Swarovski" on it. Does anyone know of any other covers that happen to fit this model? I've googled and searched the archives here but haven't seen anything on this.

Besides the following, can ya'll suggest anything else I should invest in to maintain what is now one of my most valuable possessions?

Stay on cover
hard case for travel (Pelican)
Good tripod
Lens cleaning stuff (pens, wipes, dust brush)

I seek the combined wisdom of the interweb. Or whatever else pops up instead.

Thanks!

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If no purpose-made cover is identified, look around opportunity shops etc for something that fits; pull out any unsuitable lining and replace it with foam you can cut to shape. You could cover the foam with felt if you like, sticking in the dry stuff with glue rather than wrestling with pre-glued sheets.

This might not only save money but give you a warm felty Smiler

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've been using an AT80HD for years with absolute satisfaction. I received it with a nylon cover sleeve that opens/close via zips at rear/middle/front. Swarovski sells (expensive, but what isn't at Swaro...) great carbon tripods (most probably made by Manfrotto). They're stable and very light. I bought mine, a (heavy) steel Manfrotto, before Swaro marketed theirs. The telescope is heavy and needs a solid tripod for stability of movements. The fluid (oil filled) head of my Manfrotto moves butter-smooth laterally and vertically. It's an important accessory ; therefore quality of telescope and tripod should match. I believe Manfrotto is sold by Bogen in the U.S.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a cover from Kings Camo. Priced reasonably (20% of a Swarovski made case), made in the USA. Seems to be a good, snug fit. It has cutouts for the mid-body focus ring, and seems to be a quality product. It is a little noisy when moving the focus ring quickly, but that's a complaint many have of the Swarovski case too. I think that would be the case of any close fitting cover, due to this scopes design.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote