New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-I LR reticle questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I lucked into a like new Leupold VX-I, 2-7x 33mm scope with the LR reticle. There are two small dots below the cross hair. I couldn't find any instructions for their use.

Is there a specific range that the primary cross hair needs to be zeroed and then these dots represent a set different yardage or what?

Any help will be appreciated. This is on my 30-06 pre 64 Fwt. I got this for $150.00 OTD.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dots are spaced for the approximate trajectory of a medium to high velocity centerfire rifle. They will probably be pretty close for your .30-06 using 150 grain bullets. If you zero the crosshair at 200 yards, the first dot will be zero at 300 yards, the second at 400 yards, and the top of the pickett will be 500 yards.

I think you can find the exact MOA spacings of the dots on the Leupold website.

You can check the MOA trajectory of your particular rifle round on any of several trajectory calculation websites. I particularly like http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million! I was hoping to find that information. I couldn't find anything about it on the Leupold website. You would think there would be a tutorial or at least a downloadable user manual for the scope.

I use 180 gn Nosler Partitions @ 2650 fps as my 30-06 hunting loads these days. I use to use 165 Ballistic Tips but decided to use 180 Partitions as deer season is after Bear season in PA and I don't have to switch ammo or zeroes that way. They might be a tad overkill for deer but they kill them just as dead and a little quicker in my opinion, DRT.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the slower 180's you'll want to use Leupold's alternative zero. I can't quote the distances to you, but I have a Leupold booklet in the desk drawer at home which has the MOA spacings. If I can successfully scan the right page, I'll post it here for you. Check back in a day or two.

My son shoots a .30-06 with 180 Partitions at elk, but Ballistic Tip 150's at deer here in Texas. After a mid-October elk hunt he had not had a chance to re-zero for his deer loads for the November deer season opener, so I just suggested that he shoot his elk loads. The deer he killed with the 180 Partitions did not seem to acknowledge that it was shot with an elk load rather than a deer load and was reduced to possession immediately upon the firing of the shot. Much the same way my grandson's buck fell in it's tracks after being struck with a 60 grainer from a .223. It doesn't much matter what you hit them with, so long as you hit them right.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The subtensions of those dots are in the catalog--

@ 7x--

0-1=2.19 MOA

0-2=4.8

0-3=7.82

x-plex post tip = 9.84 MOA

dot diameters=1.24 MOA

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote