New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QR mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they good, bad or ugly?

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the Tally or Warnes are stronger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on two Rifles.When you take them off and put back on,change in zero is miniscule.I like them because when I am on a hunt I can keep a spare scope in my Day-pack in case of a broken scope.If you hunt by Horseback its going to happen sometime.Yes I have had them since they first come out and recommend them.One is on a 338 Win.and the other on a 375H&H. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gott'm on a .338 WM and two .375 H&Hs. They work just fine.

Tally's may be nicer, but they are about twice the price.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on a Marlin XLR 45-70,called Leupold to get instructions on mounting tighten the base,was told leave the rings in the base loose until the scope is fully seated and fitted to the hunter then tighten the caps and lastly tighten the base levers.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I had a set on a 375 H&H Mag. and they soon shot loose.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumilkin, What shot loose,the base or the camming levers??????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had a rifle fall over in the gun room, onto a carpeted floor, and snap off both the front and rear locking levers on a 1-piece Leupold QR base. I may be the only person who has done this, but I was darned glad that it happened in the gun room and not on a hunt.

Based on this experience, I am in the process of converting my QR mounted rifle to the Warne system. Although it is heavier, it appears much more robust to me.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It was the camming lever on one of the rings.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Leupold makes or did 2 different slyes of QR, the most popular style I believe is the post with the cam set up,they also made a set that worked utilizing the Weaver style base;s, these also had side levers on the rings.........

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are sturdier (and more expensive) QR's. That said, I have the cam & post type on my .375 and have repeatedly removed and replaced the scope on the range and in the field with no noticible zero change.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I have them on my Marlin 1895 since two years ago...

After some four hundred shots they still work just fine (and I regularly use two scopes alternatingly on this rifle with this system - a 4x32 for daylight hunt and a 6x42 for night hunt)

I would reccomend them with confidence

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote