Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.5-6 scope
 Login/Join

posted
Hi fellas,I'm looking for a low magnification scope to put on a 96 mauser conversion, it will be fitted with a new Walnut stock and rechambered in 7-08 with a kreiger barrel, it already has cock on opening kit, trigger job etc done.

I was thinking of a 1.5-6 or similar, I have had quality issues with Leupold, Bushnell, Burris etc but dont really want to pay over $350 USD.

What other options are out there Lugar, Swift, Sightron, Millet ?

I've had and do like the older Pecars, Hensoldts etc but all my new scopes have been, after trial and error Weaver Grandslams, tough and down to earth.

I just wanted a low magnification,high resolution scope of good value to fit on a 96 action with normal bases and rings.

Regards
Jeff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,your right about the Weaver GS scopes! I've got 2,a 4.75x40 and a 3-10x40. Only thing about them is their kinda short eye relief on hard kickers. That not being a problem with a 7mm-08 why not get the 1.5-5x32 GS? Only thing I might caution you on is that when Weaver changed hands from Blount to Meade the lens supplier also changed and supposedly these lens aren't as good as the ones in the Blount scopes. Don't know how much of a difference there is as both of mine are Blounts and I haven't looked through any Meades. If you come across any your interested in just check the bottom of the box for the Blount logo cause as I understand there are quite a few still around. Only low power scope I have any experience with is a Leupold 1.75-6x32 VX-lll that I have on a lt wt .300(7.5lbs all up)and have had no problems at all. I should add that I've heard VERY good things about the Sightron Big Sky low range variable.

til later

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 1.8-5.5 Zeiss Conquest ... available at the right priced from http://www.cameralandny.com

Is not quite as nice as the Schmidt & Bender ... but it's more than $1000 cheaper!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Second the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5!

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris Signature Safari in that power range with an illuminated reticle on a 375 Ruger African. It's like that scope was made for that rifle. That was the one that John Barnsess recommended to me and he was right. Clarity is outstanding.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the food for thought gents,

I was thinking the Zeiss but heck it weighs about a ton (18.5 ounces}, my plan is to build a light carry all day rifle for shooting in the heavy dark N.Z. bush, with some longer shots in alpine clearings and shingle slides.

I can get the Burris sig select 1.5-6x40 or 1.75-5x32 for $379, a Conquest 2.5-8 for $361, a Weaver GS 1.5-5 for $290ish and a leupold vx111 in 1.5-5x20 or 1.75-6x32 for $399.

Any reason I should pick one over the other? I don't really want a very small compact scope that requires crawling up the stock to see thru it, or a great damn heavy thing either.

There are not a lot of suppliers who have bothered to get their license to export ex the states, www.theopticzone is probably the best, I have tried www.cameralandny.com who only send internally, a shame really that more don't export as there is a big market in Europe, Australia and New Zealand etc for top quality well priced optics.

Cheers guys
Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like my Leupolds and Grand Slams I'm gonna have to go with the Conquest 2.5-8x32 for the hunting situation you describe. If at all possible try to get it with the #4 reticle for low light shooting. $361 is a GREAT price by the way!

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other folks - Weaver GS is nice I almost bought the same magnification Sightron and ended up with Leupold. But that was before Conquest made the same scope. You wont be sorry you dragged around the extra 4-6 ounces if you need to make a shot at dusk. Buy the Conquest and you won't regret it. If you don't like it I'll trade you straight up for my Leupold vari-x 3 any time.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Tasco they are cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a nice 4x36 s&b i have used one good glass

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys,{except SG Olds your'e joking right? Eeker} I purchased the Zeiss 2.5-8x32 from Optic zone for $360, I told my wife for that price I should buy three Smiler, I hastily told her that with the sell of existing stuff it wouldn't really cost anything rotflmo, I'm spending all of september in Germany at the siemens factory so will see what optics I can source over there, I also picked up on older Bausch and lomb 2-7x32 and it has outstanding optics, it will go on the cz452 in .22 I just bought.

Thanks again fellas,

Jeff.