New
Find
Notify
Tools

sightron scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i've got a 308 custom built target rifle that i need a scope for, i was looking at the sightron III 8-32X56. has anybody had any experience with sightron and how reliable are they? how clear are they? how true are the clicks when dialing to a target? are they repeatable?

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very pleased with my SIII 8-32x56 with the target dot reticle. Scope clarity and tracking have been excellent. I would not hesitate to buy another and I already own 3 of them! Let me know if you have further questions.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been looking at the nightforce scopes and that was what i wanted but we all know the prices on them. is it compairable to the nightforce?

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You can't compare a $1500-2500 Nightforce to a $150-250 scope in any way except that it magnifies the image and goes on top of a rifle.

For the most part ALL of todays scopes have excellent optics and coatings, but there is a difference in the glass and the type and amount of coating and the way the glass is arranged inside the scop, where it's made, the type of internal metals used to hold and move the reticles, etc. That is where the cost comes in.

I look at the guarantee first, then the price today. Most of the glass makers have a very good guarantee and even though I've broken a lot of "cheapies", (some didn't last as long as my Leupolds, but most lasted 5-10 years and amortized out very, VERY cheap) all I did was send them back and got a new scope in return.

Sightron and Vortex had a return to ANY shop replacement guarantee, at one time...I know Vortex still does( or HAD last time I checked) so that's even better...take it to ANY shop that sells Vortex and swap for a new one...now that's a guarantee...and the scopes are just as well built and bright or brighter than any others I've looked at or bought.

Someday I would like to have a Nightforce or one of the newer Leupolds, Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, Zeiss etc...but right now BSA, Barska and Leapers with Weaver and Burris at the top end, get the nod. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't compare a $1500-2500 Nightforce to a $150-250 scope in any way except that it magnifies the image and goes on top of a rifle.

where can you buy a sightron for 150-250 dollars? i price the online at http://www.opticsplanet.net/si...ocus-riflescope.html and they are on sale for 840 dollars. sure would like to buy one for 150-250

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have Nightforce and Sightron scopes 8X32 Sightron and 12x42 & 5.5X22 NF. They are comparable as far as I can tell. NF has better feel when adjusting - the clicks are more positive and the NF are illuminated.

With Sightron I think stick with the SIII models and you will be happy.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Sightron SIII scopes, 2 each of the 10x50 and the 8x32 and recommend them highly for the Pdog shooting I do. The repeatability and optical quality won't leave you wanting.
Another critical factor is they will be paralax free when properly focused on the target, no need to dial out backlash.

If I were going to shoot tactical matches I'd insist on the real deal (NF) but the $$ would be tough. The

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Kacole....Midway... SI - 1x20mm, $134.99....SI - 3.5-10x50mm, $192.33...Jezzz,I was using the price numbers for illustration.

Did you read my second paragraph?...I DID mention WHERE the price differences usually begin and why.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 in addition to the SIII 8-32 Sightrons. I have compared them side by side on many occasions under different lighting, ranges, & targets. The Nightforce is a great scope but in my opinion I would not pay the extra money for another Nightforce.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an S2 3x9 mounted on an old Ruger 30-06 that my son and nephew have dragged around the mountains with utter lack of concern for the rifle or scope - bumping into everything in sight. I've wanted to replace the scope to try something new but the darn thing keeps working perfectly no matter how much field abuse it has gotten. This was about a $200 scope when I bought it and it has certainly held up well. They aren't the sexiest looking scope but at least this one has proven to be a great investment for just shooting deer, elk, coyotes and who knows what else.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i just broke down and ordered it. i will be able to let everyone know how it is in a couple of day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got the sightron III 8-32X56 and it looks great haven't had a chance to mount it on the gun yet but i can't wait. i was thinking about putting 10 moa ring what kind of rings and bases do you think i should go with