New
Find
Notify
Tools

refurbished scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
See a lot of ads for refurbished scopes. I'm assuming these are returns which may or may not have required repairs. Now I understand a lot of BSA, Simmons etc but I don't get why there are Nikon refurbs. I have yet to see any of the other serious brands do this and perhaps tarnish their reputation. Anyone have a good explanation for this?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
With Nikon, a refurb does not mean there was a problem with the scope. Some stores like Wal-Mart allow returns for any reason, and when a Nikon is returned -- even if unused -- it must go back to the factory for a thorough checkup via Nikon's merchandise policy.

These scopes can no longer be sold as new, so they are repackaged and then re-sold as refurbished units.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Milwaukee sliding compound miter saw that was a "refurb", or as it was more accurately portrayed, a "weekend rental". It was new in appearance with a new warranty but much(!) cheaper.

Such is the state of retailing that we can try out almost any consumer item and return it for any or no reason and of such, great opportunities/deals can be had. "Refurbing" has simply become a new marketing channel. If a refurb is factory checked/reconditioned, has a new warranty and is cosmetically perfect, what's to lose? Shoot......, you can probably return the refurb too!

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspected that might be the case, ie returns for no particular reason but what I still don't get is why Nikon. I realise that the US has a huge consumer market compared to the rest of the world but the number of refurbed Nikon's in a major mail order catalog just had me wondering if there was something about the Nikon scopes that people didn't like. What do the other serious optical manufacturers do with their returns if it is as simple as that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,

I live near Springfield, MO. Bass Pro Shops has their catalog return outlet store next door to their main store. I stop in about once a week to see what they have. In the last couple years I have picked up Nikons, Leopolds, Burris's, and Ziess's. Some were refurbs and some weren't. Several I've got at less than half price. The only one that didn't work was a VXIII and Leopold fixed it for free.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy factory refurb. If it don't work right the factories will fix or replace them.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are trade-ins.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote