Notify
Tools

Loooooooong straight scope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I need a long straight scope with about 4x or 6x magnification.1" tube would fit the claw mount rings already on the rifle.

This is the rifle

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know of any scope made today with a straight long 1" tube. I do have two Leupold 3x scopes made in the 1960's that have a tube exactly like that however, but they are hard to find today.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like DMB said, you only choices that I can think of are the Leupold 3x or some of the old Weavers might fit. Without measuring, I'm not even sure the 3x would give you enough lenght for scope positioning.

Would it be possible to get an offset ring for the front mount? Seems to me that would be your easiest out and get modern optics.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I don`t remeber exactly,. but Nickel made a scope that was longer in the recent years to give good stabil tubes and good eye relief.

(If you are considering selling the Zeiss, send a pm please )

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss used to make a 1" tube 1.25x 4.5 that was super long. I would try to find one of these. I still see them for sale used from time to time. I don't remember the name of the company that puts the full page add in the SCI newsletter but they frequently have them for sale. Perhaps another AR member knows who I mean.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you be specific regarding the length required? Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
Could you be specific regarding the length required? Kudude

The rings are 17.5 cm apart.
The straight part of the scope would need to be about 20cm.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Would it be possible to get an offset ring for the front mount? Seems to me that would be your easiest out and get modern optics.

True but it would ber great if I could save the cost of new rings.

The new Leupold Mark 4 straight tube looks interesting.

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
I don`t remeber exactly,. but Nickel made a scope that was longer in the recent years to give good stabil tubes and good eye relief.

(If you are considering selling the Zeiss, send a pm please )

Ja the Magnum Mauser scope, but I need a straight tube all the way, this is due to the iron sights and the Einhack front mount.

I might sell the Zeiss 1.5X if I find another scope. Dont really need a 1.5x fixed!!!!

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Or try to find the 1,5-4.5x18 , they are the same only wit ha variabel magnification.

I can try to scrounge the area up here to see if something turns up.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mr rigby

That would be great.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I guess you don't want to change the rings for a 30mm. But if you do I think the Swarovski Z6 1-6 is pretty long and might fit.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That might be the next step an expensive one but good.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a weaver 2.5x20mm, essentially a 1" tube, that is 7.25" from the beginning of the eye-bell to the front end. That is @18.5cm. Sorry, I thought we might have a match.

At one time Leupold made some "extra" long scopes. You might asked them if they still do or if their custom shop would cobble something up for you. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post

Not the greatest picture, but good enough for one shot in haste.

A steel tube El Paso Weaver 3x gives you 20 cm of straight tube to work with. A classic scope with plenty of eye relief. Fairly easy to find on Ebay for a reasonable price. One inch tube.

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great information, thanks.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I checked with a guy and he didn`t know of such a Zeiss scope right now , but he mentioned that you can use extension rings for Claw mount and thereby choose how you want to mount the scopes that you prefer.

Per

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know
But it would cosr less if I could use the rings that are on the rifle.
I am considering extended rings and the new Swarowski Z6 series. However an old lyman 3x would cost less.

Cheers,

André