Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning: Warranty Issue
 Login/Join

posted
I've just returned home from Midland gamefair with some disturbing news.

It seems the "Big Three" Optics makers have decided to reduce the warranty on all their product ranges to 10 years only!

This information came from the Swarovski UK rep directly who explained this is a joint move by the "Big Three" to reduce their operating costs as keeping spares and technicians trained up on older products was getting too expensive.

Any current Swarovski stock will be continued to be sold with the original 30 year warranty, but as dealers get new stock, these will only have a 10 year warranty.

Some what shocked, I went over to the Zeiss UK stand, and their Rep repeated the same thing virtually word for word..I assume the third company will be Leica but I can't confirm this as they didn't have a stand present. These were not dealers BTW, but actual reps on the Swarovski UK and Zeiss UK trade stands...This info is therefore direct from the horses mouth!

The Swarovski rep also gave me the distinct impression that 10 years after a product had been discontinued, they would no longer be supporting it full stop, as they don't intend to hold spares beyond that time period.

I let both Reps know that I was hugely disappointed at their decisions and the fact they have collaborated to stiff the consumer in this manner. I should add that the RRP of the products has remained the same and not been adjusted lower to help compensate for these changes.

I was looking at get a pair of the new Swaro EL's when they become available after Christmas, but with just a 10 year warranty and the manner this has been done, I very much doubt I will...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PETE
thats a real pity, it will play into the hands of leupold real nice
So i guess the euro manufactures are going to make them so they last about 10 years give or take a year and then to hell with the customer...he can buy a new scope or bino s, as they no longer have an inventory of parts
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Will this be the same for S&B???

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the 10year warranties have something to do with EU regs or something of the like. Maybe someone who knows the facts can confirm or deny this........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I have heard that the 10year warranties have something to do with EU regs or something of the like. Maybe someone who knows the facts can confirm or deny this........................DJ

I heard the same thing....

posted Hide Post
One of the US Optics suppliers who posts on another forum is saying thats what he has been told. However, it certainly wasn't what I was told by the Reps from either Swaro or Zeiss who said it was a cost cutting measure..

I'm sure if it was as simple as a change in the Euro regulations, the companies affected would make it known saying the change was due to circumstances beyond their control...

It maybe that to offer a 30 year warranty, the EU regulations now require evidence that companies can actually do this, meaning they to demonstrate they have certain levels of spares stored away and plans to keep technicians trained ect ie they may be required to prove the warranty is not just marketing hype but is deliverable; but thats just pure speculation on my part.

It will be interesting to see if S&B continue with their 30 year warranty; same goes for Meopta with their 15 year one...

If S&B do continue with their 30 year warranty, I will be buying their scopes in future...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote