THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Leupold VXIII Boone and Crockett reticle question

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VXIII Boone and Crockett reticle question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Greetings,

I have a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII LR with the Boone and Crockett reticle system, on a brand new Remington 700 CDL in 300WSM.

I am driving the 180gr Nosler Accubond at 3030fps and I would like some advice on what range I should sight in at - 200 or 300 yards.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If most of the game/targets are at 200 yards then I would zero for that distance and if and when the 300 yard shot is taken, the B&C reticle is for that purpose/use. I am not sure of what the additional elevation would be using the other markings/bars as seen in the reticle, but the manual will give you numbers, but sighting in will show you just where the point of impact will be by using the reticle graduations. The variuous tables showing flight of the bullet are good data, but in the hands of the shooter, your particular rifle, loads, etc. often will vary and shooting is the best way to determing just how it is all working. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend that you sight your 300 WSM in for 200 yards. The book that should have come with your scope will show you that on page four. Your load falls into what Leupold calls the Group A category.

The 180 grain Nosler Accubond has a B.C. of .507 and according to the Nosler Reloading Manual number 6 it should be sighted in 1.5 inches high at 100 yards to be on at 200.(when shot at a velocity of 3000 fps.)

If you sight the gun in for 200 yards then the hash marks below the center reticle will be on for 300, 400, and 450 yards. The top of the duplex post will be on for 500 yards.

Keep in mind that for these lines to work the scope will have to be turned up to the large triangle shown on the power ring. (On this scope it is at 14 power.)

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
Greetings,

I have a 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII LR with the Boone and Crockett reticle system, on a brand new Remington 700 CDL in 300WSM.

I am driving the 180gr Nosler Accubond at 3030fps and I would like some advice on what range I should sight in at - 200 or 300 yards.

Regards,

Michael.

The reticle is designed to be zero'd at 200 yds and the next line down represents 2.19 MOA/300 yds at a marked magnification. That doesn't mean that your bullet will drop that much or might drop more. You need to look at the ballistics of your load to get an idea of where it is on the reticle scale. Once you've done that, it's best to zero at 200 and then test the 300 yard hash on the retiticle at 300 yds. If it corresponds to your load, you're in good shape. If not you can adjust the magification at 300 yards, use the 300 yard mark, and hopefully you will find the right spot. At that point you need to mark where the mag should be set for quick setup later. Understand that the setting is going to be near max magnification.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote