New
Find
Notify
Tools

leupold FX II
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a fixed 4x scope, is there enough difference between the two to justify the cost of the FX II? I can get a M8 for about $60 cheaper...

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of resale, a gently used FX would probably bring at least $60 more than the same in an M8, largely because there are a lot of M8's out there and the demand for "plain 4x" scopes is not particulary strong.

In terms of serviceability, I doubt that there is an occasion that the FX, used solely as an optical gunsight, would allow you to make a shot that an M8 wouldn't.

But you're the only one who can say what the "latest" and "best" is worth to you in terms of dollars. Sixty bucks will buy enough good Canadian Whisky to last me through most of a hunting season. If it came down to it, I'd rather have the M8 and the whisky than the FX alone Wink. Hopefully, your financial circumstances will not force you into an either-or position cheers.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is about the best reply I think I have ever read...way to put it all into perspective! It is all about priorities, isn't it?

Thanks

Dave

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. Now there is a man that would fit into our hunting camp - just bring that bottle of Crown along, we'll provide the ice. cheers

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
I have to agree. Now there is a man that would fit into our hunting camp - just bring that bottle of Crown along, we'll provide the ice. cheers

Thanks for the invite, Clem. I do love Crown, but have found that Weiser's, at $20.99/1.75 ltr. locally, does, like that Leupold M8, all that I can ask of it. Wink

Now as to ice, that, too, is an important subject. My good friend and I were sitting in his new Ford truck a couple of years ago on an unpleasant afternoon when the drizzle was falling sideways at about 33 degrees. We were using the truck as a substitute (read: more comfortable) deer blind, watching a wheat field for deer and sipping a little of that aforementioned Crown to keep the frostbite away. Every once in a while, Rodger would switch the key on to check the falling temperature on the display on the rear view mirror. About the third time he checked, the display flashed "Warning, Ice". We looked at each other, quite puzzled, until I glanced down at my drink, and it hit me. "Damn, we are just about out of ice! Rodger, get out and go back there and get us some out of the cooler. I'll swear, this is just about the smartest automobile I've ever seen!"

Gave my friend Rodger a bottle of 18 year old Canadian for Christmas this year. I told him that it was not to remind him of what all he could do better 18 years ago, but that he has never been better at drinking whisky than he is right now! cheers

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote