The best universal top brand binocular is:

Choices:
Zeiss Victory FL 8x42
Swarovski EL/SLC 8.5x42/8x42
Leica 8x42 Ultravid HD
Other:

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Swarovskis I've used have not impressed me, but maybe that has been due to my limited exposure to this make and the individual instruments not being up to par.

On the other hand, all of the Liecas (and predecessor Leitz) I've had occasion to use have generated sparkling, high resolution images.

I don't recall that I've ever used a Zeiss binocular, so would have no comment.

Posts: 8 | Location: Henly, Tx | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no clearcut answer to your question. It will be a personal decision which is "best", one person will focus on this feature, another on something else.

Any of the binocs you list will provide a lifetime's joy. If you compare them side by side, you may be able to pick a personal favorite.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned all of them and IMHO Leica offers the most complete package. Aside from optics, they offer the most scratch resistant lens coatings of those mentioned, I believe the most rugged, the most compact, the only greaseless center focus wheel that is not effected by temperature and hydrophobic lens coatings

If you hunt out of a truck, toss a coin. If you want peace of mind that your purchase is not likely to fail a hundred miles from nowhere; Buy the Leica's. Tough, tough, tough...

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica Geovids, hands down.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I guess you will have to define "universal" --
but the top binos from Nikon and Kowa also need to be included if you want an honest answer.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Leica Ultravid tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
10x42 Ultravid HD's here.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customer service from Leica is poor.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had to use customer service at Leica. I own 3 pair ( 8 X 32 Trinovids, 8 X 32 HD Ultravids and 12 X 50 HD Ultravids).
I have owned 2 pair of Swarovski's ( 10 X 40 WA's; old poro design and 10 X 42 SLC's) Both have been back for repair; they were both knocked out of allignment- by me, not on purpose, and an eye cup came off). Great glass, my experience has lead me to believe they are just not as durable as a Leica. They were fixed quickly with good customer service however that does you no good if you are way out in the sticks. Those old 8 x 32 Leica Trinovids have been everywhere and really battered around. Like a Timex; takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:

My experiences with Leica's customer service dept. have been fantastic.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that there is all that much to pick between the Leica HD, Swarovski HD and Zeiss FL. The main distinguishing feature of the Swarovski 'swarovision' on the new ELs is the extra field flattening lens in the eyepiece system. I have not doubt that the others will introduce this soon as well!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That flat field eye piece is very old school technology. Not sure why it was not employed on main stream Binocs sooner.
I have a pair on 10 x 70 Fujinon binocs that are +20 years old that have a flat field eye piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pr of the Leica 7x42HD and they are fantastic...top quality glass and tough as hell. The Swaro's are not as durable and cost 25% more. Zeiss comes in 3rd to me. The focus is way too touchy for me.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted "other".

I really like Steiner. I have the C5 Predator 10x42 and won't take for them.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:
quote:

I know an Outfitter in AK., between him and one of his guides, they have had two spotting scopes fail, binoculars and one set of range finding binos that costs about $4,000.

They get the guides discount from Leica and yet will not buy another Leica product. They do not consider them fit for hard use, nor backed up customer service from their numerous first hand expereinces with Leica C.S.

For those who have not dealt with Leica C.S., perhaps they caught a good product, or maybe they don't use their Leicas as hard or nearly as often as a Guide does.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned several pairs each of both Swarovski and Leica since 1995. I don't think anyone can tell the differance with their eyes from the the top models from Swaro, Zeiss or Leica. I do believe the current generation Leicas are the most rugged. My current go-to glass is a pair of 10x32 HD Ultravids. They are suberb binos.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know an Outfitter in AK., between him and one of his guides, they have had two spotting scopes fail, binoculars and one set of range finding binos that costs about $4,000.

They get the guides discount from Leica and yet will not buy another Leica product. They do not consider them fit for hard use, nor backed up customer service from their numerous first hand expereinces with Leica C.S.

For those who have not dealt with Leica C.S., perhaps they caught a good product, or maybe they don't use their Leicas as hard or nearly as often as a Guide does.

Yeah, and if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle. When you've dealt with Leica customer service first-hand, let us know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when do we not trust our outfitters on gear advice.

I have hunted with Dan Montgomery for ten years and he has not steered me wrong on gear yet or anything else for that matter.

I would not use Leica to look at your ugly mother from across the street. Just because that is what you bought that makes it the best, I get it.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious to also know, exactly which Leica rangefinding binocular cost about $4,000?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Generation 1 early version of these

http://swfa.com/Leica-15x56-Ge...inocular-P13004.aspx

that were shaped like a cigar box and weighed several pounds. They are long since discontinued. They were more expensive and heavier than the $3K ones they have out now. They only range 75 yds in ideal conditions and are supposed to range over 1,000 yds. They have been back and forth to Leica and they should have either fixed them, or replaced them with the newer model, but they refused to do so.

So much for the Leica Lifetime Warranty. I would be pissed also. thumbdown Even though they were not mine, it still counts.

BTW, your Leicas are being soundly beaten in the above poll by Swarovski. You are in the minority and I clearly am not alone.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad Leica never made a 15x56 prior to the latest generation Geovids. The first generation Geovids were 7x42's and retailed for approx. $1,999.99, which shows exactly how much weight should be put into your story. And by your own words your guide buddy in Alaska received a "guide discount", so he wouldn't have even paid MSRP.

And I could give two shitts whose leading in the poll. Swarovski makes great binos, as does Zeiss, but to say Leica customer service sucks based on some third party information, rather than first-hand experience, puts you in the same category as your brother "E" over at the 'fire, but keep spinning your FAIRY-tale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
uh, no not quite. See where I wrote shaped like a cigar box and weighed several pounds. Do the ones in the link look like they are cigar box shaped, or weigh several pounds? They are an example of Leica RangeFinding binos for those not familiar with them. The only ones I have ever seen were the broken ones the Guide had.

Perhaps you would like to buy a fogged up Leica Spotting scope 77MM, or some near useless cigar box shaped range finding binos that range 75 yds? $2,000 sounds fair.

We can give you a lifetime warranty. It will be just as good as the Leica Factory warranty. LOL. killpc

Keep drinking that Leica Kool Aid.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first generation Geovids were 7x42's and retailed for approx. $1,999.99, which shows exactly how much weight should be put into your story. And by your own words your guide buddy in Alaska received a "guide discount", so he wouldn't have even paid MSRP.

And I could give two shitts whose leading in the poll. Swarovski makes great binos, as does Zeiss, but to say Leica customer service sucks based on some third party information, rather than first-hand experience, puts you in the same category as your brother "E" over at the 'fire, but keep spinning your FAIRY-tale

No offer to buy the PERFECTLY fine equipment, huh I thought not.

Guide discount from Leica is very small, btw, much better from other (German) companies.
The point is not how much was paid, but the fact that they will not repair nor replace them. What kind of Lifetime Warranty is that?

I see Ebay has a pair of these 10 year old, or more 7 x 42's and the starting bid is $1,500 USED. Where do you get the $2K price from, your ass ? Can you provide a link.

I can't find a price on them anywhere, but I can call the owner. I am sure he would be happy to unload that crap on you. Give me an address. Since you knew what power they were and supposedly the price and then asked anyway, what does that say about YOUR ethics. Do you work for Leica.... shame

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I voted other because you only listed low power Binoculars. I have a pair of 10x42 Swarovski's and a pair of 10x50 Swarovski's. The 10x50's are my favorites. I have not found a BETTER binocular. If I were looking now I would probably look seriously at the Kahles line. They seem particularly bright to me. I must say the BEST binoculars I ever had were a pair of Bausch & Lomb 9x35 Zephyr Lights. I was sad when they were stolen. Replaced them with Leicas as i used Lieca cameras and liked them very much. Was disappointed with the Leicas and upgraded to Swarovsi's. Been with them ever since which is close to 20 years now.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have personally seen six Swarovski optics fail due to internal mould or moisture along with one set of Zeiss BGAT 8x30's. "Touch wood" no Leica problems yet.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do folks buy binoculars in pairs? Are they concerned that one might fail?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bausch&Lomb Rochester NY made best around.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I think Swaro rifle scopes are better. But in binocs I haven't seen the equal of the 8x42 Victory models. Everyone I have ever handed it to have lamented not having some.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Optolyth....as good as the premium brands and less $$$$.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I have owned all of them and IMHO Leica offers the most complete package. Aside from optics, they offer the most scratch resistant lens coatings of those mentioned, I believe the most rugged, the most compact, the only greaseless center focus wheel that is not effected by temperature and hydrophobic lens coatings

If you hunt out of a truck, toss a coin. If you want peace of mind that your purchase is not likely to fail a hundred miles from nowhere; Buy the Leica's. Tough, tough, tough...

quote:

Posted 14 November 2011 14:58 Hide Post
I have never had to use customer service at Leica. I own 3 pair ( 8 X 32 Trinovids, 8 X 32 HD Ultravids and 12 X 50 HD Ultravids).
I have owned 2 pair of Swarovski's ( 10 X 40 WA's; old poro design and 10 X 42 SLC's) Both have been back for repair; they were both knocked out of allignment- by me, not on purpose, and an eye cup came off). Great glass, my experience has lead me to believe they are just not as durable as a Leica. They were fixed quickly with good customer service however that does you no good if you are way out in the sticks. Those old 8 x 32 Leica Trinovids have been everywhere and really battered around. Like a Timex; takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

These 2 posts completely utter my expieneces. Had 3 swarovskis fail, never had a Leica do the same. Leica lens coatings are tough as nails, no problem to use toilet paper ( horror ) on them. Leica have spent fr far less on advertising over the last 2 decades and more on build quality. Swarovski the opposite.

Posts: 107 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 23 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience is just the opposite. I have one of the first 10x42 Ultravid HDs sold in the USA and the eye cups would sometimes pull off. Over the next year, the problem became more bothersome. I finally emailed Leica to ask if other users experienced the same problem. They phoned me the next day. The gentleman I spoke with was kind and apologetic. He said they had made a little change to eye cups and offered to send me some free of charge. New eye cup assemblies arrived, I installed them, and I haven't had a problem since.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero talks out of his azz and has zero PERSONAL experience with Leica customer service, so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted other -- only because I think it depends on what you want the binoculars for and because I've never owned Swaro. I don't think 10X is always the answer.

I have an old pair of Zeiss 10X42's that I love, but they are big and heavy. Great in a blind or glassing the tundra, but not so hot on a tracking hunt in the hot. That said, I've got some Leica 8/32's that are light weight and will pretty much do it all -- except maybe glassing on a sheep hunt or some such -- but I'm too old for that anyway.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting away from the topic of "brand". With all the evolutions of coatings and objective glass (ED, Flourite etc.). I would not mind trying some high end 10 X 32's for a trial. Never owned a pair as I always believed a 4 mm exit pupil was the smallest I wanted in a universal hunting binoc. I
own so many binocs now I am not sure I need them.
I have read on here that all the big 3; 10 X 32's are fantastic (Zeiss FL's, Leica HD's and Swar EL's)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold Zero talks out of his azz and has zero PERSONAL experience with Leica customer service, so take anything he says with a grain of salt.

You are still perseverating on this weeks later, that's sad. killpc Buster lives in his Mother's basement and pecked that out on her computer, while jerking off to the Leica catalog. Keep on drinking that Leica Kool Aid. Wink

Anything that is man made, can fail. The difference is, how the Company handles their Lifetime Warranty.

I have used several of the Leica products that I mentioned above in the field. Leica has great glass, but not the most rugged product, nor best customer service. I also own a Leica Range Finder and have had no issues with it.

Optic companies offer a Guide Program because they know it is good for their business, when Guides use their products and their Clients see that and Clients then buy them also.

I have spent over 45 days in the field hunting with Dan Montgomery and his crew. He has turned me onto several excellent pieces of gear, so I have no reason to doubt the man, when he tells me to avoid something.

For anyone who would like to hear it from the horses mouth themselves, call Dan Montgomery, Alaska Trophy Adventures and ask about his Leica situation and then ask for his head Guide Todd, who also has had problems with Leica and their Customer Service, neither one will ever buy another Leica product and would be happy to sell you the Leica products that have failed on them, at bargain prices that they are now stuck with.

If Leica products, or anything else for that matter have worked for you, I am happy for you drive on. Happy hunting.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
There you go again, talking out of your azz. Let's hear YOUR personal experience with Leica customer service.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:I always believed a 4 mm exit pupil was the smallest I wanted in a universal hunting binoc.

I definitely agree there, although my preference would be for a minimum 5mm EP personally.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
That flat field eye piece is very old school technology. Not sure why it was not employed on main stream Binocs sooner.
I have a pair on 10 x 70 Fujinon binocs that are +20 years old that have a flat field eye piece.

The only criticism that I have heard of the field flattening lenses (most recently in the Swarovision) is that the distortion correction required to increase edge sharpness (keeping the edge and centre in focus at the same time) can make people nauseous when panning against a vertical background (e.g. trees).

It is nothing more than an engineering decision. Zeiss opted for better light transmission and a big centre sweet spot but traded edge of field correction in the FLs. Swarovski reduced light transmission overall but increased edge sharpness in the Swarovision. Each approach has its fans. It will be interesting to see what Zeiss is going to be announcing in January and March 2012...

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
THere is a large field comparison of 11 8x42 binoculars here if it is of interest
http://translate.google.com/tr...ne%2Fmega_review.php