THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Illuminated reticules for lamping of vermin at night

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illuminated reticules for lamping of vermin at night
 Login/Join

Picture of tikkathree
posted
I'm interested in "real life" experiences of illuminated reticule scopes.
I'm a long-term lamper of foxes (Riflecraft TMR1 in .22/250 with Reflex T8, 55gn VMax bullets in front of 38.4gn of H380 leaving me @ 3660fps with quarter inch accuracy). The layout of the farm and the typical shot distance of 175yds plus doesn't lend itself to NV gear and we are currently using a relatively low-powered lamp to avoid spooking some quite wary foxes. My current scope is a Leupold with FCH reticule which I tend to set on about 18x and I'm starting to find the combination of fine reticule and relatively low levels of illumination a bit awkward at times. I think the real answer is to turn the lamp up a bit but am wondering how useful an illuminated reticule would be in this situation?
Also has anyone here tried these? http://www.falconoptics.com/4-14x56IR.php
At the price I'm wondering whether to give one a go.

Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Merrie England | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski 3-12x50 with the illuminated reticule and it makes a hell of a difference when foxing...It was mounted on a .223 dedicated to that, but these days it sits on my stalking rifle...

Previously, I tried a Burris with a fine target style reticule, but sold it after one nights lamping and reverted to a 6x42mm Swarovski with a No 7 reticule; a far better scope in every sense...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Australia it is legal to spotlight any feral game and indeed kangaroos with permits.

I have used Nightforce scopes with illuminated reticles for a couple of years now and wouldn't use anything else.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a fox at night with a rifle (only shotguns)but did shoot a leopard. I was using a Burris euro diamond with an illuminated reticle but didn't feel that it added much. I could see the leopard clearly in the dim light even at 81 yds.However, that being said, I would use the same setup in the future for any night time shooting just in case. I feel the greatest advatage with the illuminated reticle is just before dark when the game is in the dark shadows. That's when it's been most useful to me.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote