New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im having a 375 H&H made and was wondering what would be a good scope to install on it? What should I have for I relief?

Posts: 28 | Location: Pa | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold scopes on a 458 Lott and a 375 H&H Mag. and they have served me well. You need maximum eye relief and a scope that will stand up to heavy recoil.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with Leupold but here is an alternative:

Last summer I switched the scope on the rifle to a Burris Euro Diamond 1.5x6 with the 3P#4 Illuminated E-Dot reticle because I was hunting a leopard. I kept my Leuopold as a backup.

What I found is that the Burris is too good to take off. Buff in dark bush, Leopard, plains game early or late in the day - for about 450 bucks - I will keep the Leupold as a backup but my starting out scope is already on the rifle - Burris

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikev:
Im having a 375 H&H made and was wondering what would be a good scope to install on it? What should I have for I relief?

Swarovski/Zeiss/S&B all make excellent 30mm low powered scopes that are ideal for a 375 H&H. I have a 1.5-6 Swaro PH on mine and my good buddy likes the 2.5-10x42 on his primary 375 H&H. He's used his 375 for Zebra and other plains game in Africa and likes the higher power for plains game etc..
If Leopard were to be hunted one with a lighted reticle would be awesome................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought two new Swarovski Z6 scopes. I now have the 1-6x ("EE" model) on my 416 Rem. It has more eye relief than Leupold and is incredibly bright and clear. I love that I can have it on 1x for DG hunting and then crank it up to 6x for longer shots.

I also have a 1.7x-10x Z6 on my 375H&H. I think that this is a perfect scope for the 375H&H. It has the low power 1.7x for close up work and the 10x for those longer shots when you are shooting 270 grain bullets at plainsgame.

I think I will buy the illuminated 2-12x 50mm Z6 scope for my 300 Win Mag when it comes out. I love the wide magnification range of this scope, as it really allows you to have one scope for many applications.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Swaro's only have a 10year warranty and have yet to be proven reliable. I purchased a 2-12 and the eye focus piece was loose from the factory. When I called them I found out about the 10 year warranty and decided to get my $ back after not getting a straight answer on waranty one person said 10 years after the scope isn't in production the other said 10 years from purchase. This scope is over priced by about $1000 for a 10 year warranty in my opinion. Give me a lifetime or 30 year waranty and it is worth $1700 10 years makes it worth about $700 in my book. Swaro is going to have a hard time selling these to anyone other than the guy who must have it with not even being able to get a decent answer on warranty. Ps I loved the field of view and the glass in the scope. The best idea yet and a real winner except it doesn't seem swaro has much confidence in the scopes durability.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
SCHMIDT&BENDER 1.5-6X42 MAG EYE RELIEF thumb
OZHUNTER

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to be hunting/shooting with it?

If dangerous game is on the menu, a lower power scope is probably better.

On the other hand, I won't be shooting DG for many years and have a 3-9x Conquest on mine, which works well for plinking and whitetail deer.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PeterPan
posted Hide Post
I have just got Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38 from http://www.eurooptic.com/.
Talk to Alex (Tell him Peter from Bolton send you), he gave me a deal I couldn't refused.
I am going to use that scope on my 9.3x64.

Posts: 202 | Location: Bolton | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a custom rifle shouldn't the smith know what style of scope you are interested in before making the gun?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Can't argue with Leupold but here is an alternative:

Last summer I switched the scope on the rifle to a Burris Euro Diamond 1.5x6 with the 3P#4 Illuminated E-Dot reticle because I was hunting a leopard. I kept my Leuopold as a backup.

What I found is that the Burris is too good to take off. Buff in dark bush, Leopard, plains game early or late in the day - for about 450 bucks - I will keep the Leupold as a backup but my starting out scope is already on the rifle - Burris

A strong second for these new Burris Euro Diamond! Just mounted a 1-4 Edot on a CZ 416 and I love it. It's not true 2 eyes open on 1x on this gun as you can't get it mounted that far forward to get enough eye relief, but there is more to be had. I ordered this along with a Leupold VIII 2.5-8 for a 375 H&H mauser. Comparing them, the Burris smoked the Leupold. Granted I was comparing 1" to 30mm tubes but the Leupy had the larger objective. I didn't even mount the Leupy to the 375. I boxed it up and exchanged it to order the above mentioned model, the 1.5-6 Edot. I'm a convert the Euro thinking all along. No more 1" tubes for me.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't get this Burris mounted far enough forward on this CZ550. It's a head bonker. No hardware found to solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose the Leupold 1.75-6x to go on mine but if I made the choice today I'd certainly go with the Conquest & probably go with a little higher magnification than the 6x if it wasn't a DG rifle. Hard to beat an S&B if price isn't an object.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VxIII 1.5-5x20 with illuminated reticle.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have two scopes for my 375 H&H:
1-4X Leupold Vari-X II and a 2.5-8X Leupold Vari-X III

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
For that gun, I'd say any of the following in some kind of QR mounts if you've got open sights installed:

1. Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32
2. Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32 (probably the best choice)
3. Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 (if you're going to be using the rifle for everything)

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-12x50 Swarovski on it and it is brilliant...

I would always do this again. Maybe I will add a new Z6 1-6x24 one day, but at the moment I don´t have the need for a lower magnifition scope...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the Leupold Vari-X-III 1.75-6x32E on my 375H&H over the past few years.
I wouldn't mind a 2.5-8x36 however.

JMeier

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote