New
Find
Notify
Tools

new spotter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have saved for 3 years for a spotting scope and want to get it right.I will be using it for muledeer and elk in AZ.Should i get a stright or angled eye piece.What power should i get?What brand is the best,clearest and will last i cant belive im going to spend so much.Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd stick with the straight eyepiece. had an angles one once and it was great for prone target work, but i was damned if i could get onto game with the thing looking someother direction that right at it. I believe swaro is the best out there, but swaro, leica and zeiss are all going be high buck. also if you're carrying it around you'll want to look at smaller bodied scopes. most all are going to come with a variable power eyepiece, so thats not a consideration. As long as you have the money to spend, stay away from the low priced stuff. The inbetween scopes like nikon, leupold etc. all give you pretty good value, but go to someplace like cabelas and look through some of them and make your decision on what your eyes like best. Then I usually find the best buys at camera outlets in new york Get a photo magazine or 2 and look thru the adds, but be careful on the companies, some are really bad.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be my pleasure to discuss the different options in spotters with you. Feel free to give me a call at the store during east coast business hours.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3697 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is easily the best discussion I have ever read about spotting scopes! If the link doesnt work, it is likely you will have to sign up on the site, but I promise it will be worth the effort!
Cdog.http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr/vpost?id=1936814

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica or Zeiss period
get the best they make ,i like my 45% eye piece,you simply turn down the power to fine what your looking for. if weight is an issue
go 65 mm if not go 77-85. my eye piece power is 20-60,but i think a 30power would work better all around.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote