THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris 2-7 for shotgun/muzzleloader only?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today I received a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 scope that I ordered for my 35 whelen. When I was researching the scope on Burris' website, it looked like exactly what I wanted. But when I received it in the mail today, I saw the box says "Shotgun/Muzzleload".

I called Burris' technical support and they said it will work fine for centerfire rifles and that the "shotgun/muzzleload" wording on the box is just marketing hype. I went ahead and mounted it on my rifle. But I'm still wondering why a company would put that on the box if it wasn't for a actual purpose. Can anyone confirm if there is any problem with using my scope on a Whelen?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will not have a problem with the scope on your Whelan. I only recommendation would be to enjoy the scope.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
ALL the ones I have had, 2-7x35's were NOT marked shotgun/muzzleloader leading me to believe yours may have had a different parallax setting and/or reticle. Mine is the 3P#4 reticle, assume parallax is 100 or 150 yds.

On the Burris site you can email them for info, might check.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have the ballistic plex reticle. I noticed that Burris provided ballistic charts in my info pack for both shotgun and centerfire cartridges(such as 30-06 and 300 Win). So it looks like the information I got from their technical support is right. I didn't think to ask him more about the parallax info while I was on the phone.

After searching around for more information, it looks like the parallax is set shorter than other higher power scopes. But that is fine with me because I don't plan on doing any real long distance shooting. I checked and I'm able to focus clearly on targets out to 300 yards, so that should suit me fine.

I originally tried to put a Leupold 2-7 on my Remington 700, but it was too short unless I used extension mounts. On think I like about the Burris is that it's longer and doesn't require any extension with Talley rings.