Find
Notify
Tools

22 LR Target Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted
Want a scope for a Model 52 Winchester 22 I own. This will be a dedicated 22 scope only. What is the best value in rimfire scopes out there? Thanks

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two Swifts and they're great for rimfire.
I will try a Mueller APV next.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if its an older 52 i think you'll find that it has target bases, which limits you to either finding something like a targetspot or an old redfield 3200/6400. if you're shooting smallbore make sure whatever you get has minute enough adjustments on it

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Right now it has a Leupold 6.5-20 on it . WHomever owned the scope/rifle before attempted to diassemble the scope in order to fix some percieved problem Wink . Let out the gas on the scope and Leupold won't work on it because it is outdated.
I have some pretty good opinions on what constitutes a fine hunting scope but know Jack S@@t about target scopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is the newer re-issue, then mounts are easy to find. If it is the original 52, sounds as if mounts have already been set up.
So, being it is a rimfire, I prefer the following:
1) Leupold 3x9x33EFR (appr. $325-350)
2) Burris 4x12 mini PA (appr $300-325)
3) Burris 4.5-14 PA (appr $260 on up)

There are obviously other good choices. But these are IMO a nice bridge between quality & price.

If you are looking for a better hunting set up,
I'd go with a Leupold 2x7x28mm (new for $199 online). Nikon also has a nice 4 power for about a hundred dollars (only in matte finish).

Good luck!

Too much is just right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SempreElk:
WHomever owned the scope/rifle before attempted to diassemble the scope in order to fix some percieved problem Wink . Let out the gas on the scope and Leupold won't work on it because it is outdated.
QUOTE]

I never heard of Leupold refusing to work on one of their own scopes. They might charge for it if someone else screwed it up, but I would think that they would fix it for a price.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it to Leupold and tell 'em it's broke. Like Stonecreek, I've never heard of them refusing to work on one of their own. And, I've sent scopes lots older than a 6.5X20 to them and gotten them fixed.

As to your original question--just took a 2X7 Leupy off my .22 and replaced it with a 3-9 X 33 EFR/AO Ultralight. 5 squirrels this morning--and I shot a .148" 5-shot group at 25 yds with it last Friday.

And, I'll take that 6.5 X 20 off your hands for parts if you don't want it. Wink

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never heard of Leupold refusing to work on one of their own scopes. They might charge for it if someone else screwed it up, but I would think that they would fix it for a price.

Really well they sure did this time...they said the scope was outdated and didn't have replacement parts. It needs a new tube and erector system. They would have given the previous owner credit towards the purchase of a new one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SempreElk:
but know Jack S@@t about target scopes.

My fullbore club has just started shooting .22rf with mostly field rifles, with target type scopes. There is no consensus or experence with them, eg some want target knobs but then just aim off. A low power for 30m off-hand and high enough power to see bullet holes at 90m. Some want mil dots for hold-over and wind allowance, and we all want adjust Objective. Most target scopes will have 1/8th.adjustments.

I would want a good enough quality to have dependable adjustments and a constant zero with power changes.

We all have trouble with the big scopes hitting the barrel and/or bolt handle, yet no one likes high mounts.
Apart from that, almost anything will do. bewildered

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Leupold 6.5-20x scopes on 22 target rifles I shoot in Benchrest matches outdoors. They work ok for me. You might want to buy the same scope for yours, just like the one that Leupold won't fix.

Another very good scope is the Weaver 30x scope designed for both centerfire and rimfire benchrest shooting. Close focus is important for 22RF shooting. Both of the above scopes forcus down to 25 yards IIRC. Just thought of the Bushnell 4200 6-24x scope. It works too with good glass and focuses down to 10 yards

Don

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another very good scope is the Weaver 30x scope designed for both centerfire and rimfire benchrest shooting. Close focus is important for 22RF shooting. Both of the above scopes forcus down to 25 yards IIRC. Just thought of the Bushnell 4200 6-24x scope. It works too with good glass and focuses down to 10 yards

Those 2 sound like winners. BTW this Old Leupold scope was really worn out by the previous owner but I too am surprised they don't have parts for it. I will give it back to him since it's in this condition and get some sort of refund.