Find
Notify
Tools

Leica 1200/ cold weather
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I was out today hunting and my range finder wouldn't hardly range anything. The temp was right around zero degrees. I had kept them in my pocket. When I got home they worked fine from inside the house after warming up. I left them outside for an hour and sure enough they wouldn't range anything. No condensation issues. I liked these untill I experienced this issue. Anybody else experience anything like this? Not much use to me if they won't work in cold temps.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Wow,
I've not seen or heard of a problem like that before. I believe I'd be on the phone with Leica customer service to hear how they react to this type of problem.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem in Northern MN during deer season. Ended up just being the battery. It would work fine where it was warm but I guess the cold literaly sucked the "juice" out of the battery.
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Try a new battery.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey: I took my Leica 800 outside yesterday morning as it was 10 degrees below zero (-10 degrees Fahrenheit) and it performed perfectly. I ranged a herd of Mule Deer in the field to the north of my house and then ranged the hill just behind them. It ranged at 647 yards which is just what it has for three years now.
Then I took it around to the back of my house and ranged a herd of Antelope in the field south of my house. I ranged hither and yawn for about 20 minutes until my ears started "burning" and I went inside.
I also agree that you most probably need a new battery. I use the Dura-Cells.
Hope that solves your "situation".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I tried a new battery, however it may have a been sitting in the drawer awhile. I'll buy a fresh one and see what happens.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote