THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Tasco Titan 1.5-6x42??? What the billy hell is this???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tasco Titan 1.5-6x42??? What the billy hell is this???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
I picked up a dangerous game rifle (458 Win Mag) recently and it had a "throw away" scope on it or so I thought.

I saw the Tasco name and went for my gunsmith screwdriver set... About that time the guy that sold me the rifle called to see how I liked it.

Well.. After a half hour on the phone of him extolling the virtues of this scope he finally convinced me to give it a fair try.

I must admit that it is VERY easy to obtain a sight picture in a big hurry and it fairly jumps to your eye. This could be very important on a dangerous game scope. It appears to be very sturdily constructed and is pleasing to the eye...

Maybe I should black out the Tasco name and look for a Schmidt and Bender logo to paste on it? animal

Anyway... Does anyone know anything about the Tasco Titan series?

Oh... Here's the cheapest price I could find on them and they have a photo with it. Looks kinda like a Schmidt and Bender eh? Wink
Titan

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Whilst googling around I ran across this... I believe that Chris is the owner of SWFA.

Chris Speaks on Tasco Titan

No WONDER it looks like a Schmidt and Bender... Big Grin

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some time ago someone on AR mentioned one and said it was dependable on a big bore, etc etc.
There are Tascos and tascos.
And see the thread here about the two Swarovskis failing within 7 shots?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
They are one heck of a very well built scope. I would keep it

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys... I was beginning to have the same impression of this scope. I suspect it came out of one of Tasco's Japanese factories they used to use, maybe even Haako and that it was one of their better offerings. thumb

btw... I can't seem to find the article on the two Swarovski's failing... Got link? Confused

$bob$

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
There is a group of guys at my gun club. They are all related cousins and brothers. They all shoot Abolts in every variation except caliber. They like 338's on everything. They have regular grade Tascos on these guns and not a one problem. Many of these guns have been shot in the hundreds of rounds. If I didn't see it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. YOur scope is just a super upgrade of it. Good Luck with it

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:

btw... I can't seem to find the article on the two Swarovski's failing... Got link? Confused

$bob$

Don't know about links, but go to the Big Bore section.
The thread is current, Re Leupold VX-11 on a .375 H&h
Posts on 24th.April 07 by luv2safari and GUSTAVO

Quite bad press out of so few posts. thumbdown

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the Swarovski scope failures....
Link

$bob$

posted Hide Post
I cannot remember exactly where I read this but someone that new quite a bit about the titans posted a very easy way to tell the difference between the good ones and cheap ones(basically the Japan ones and the China ones). The turrets coming out of the tubes look totally different. If I remember right the cheaper ones just come directly out of the tube and the Japan ones have a body that surrounds the tube the the turrets come out of but I may have this backwards between which is good and bad. I will see if I can come up with the post to verify which is which. The Japan ones are supposed to be very good scopes but heavy.
Ryan

Posts: 29 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked my old Tasco Titan (Japanese made and prominently marked as such on the eyepiece) and the turrets come straight out of the tube. I am very happy with this scope, I wish I had bought more at the time. Every bit the equal of MUCH more expensive scopes.I am told these were used for a while by SWAT teams here together with S&B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a half dozen Tasco Titans and Euro-class scopes.

I had the Titan 1-4x22 (30 mm tube) on my 404 Jeffery.

These are without a doubt the best scopes for the dollar that were ever produced.

I've given up trying to convince others about them, and now I just buy them off Ebay if I need one.

(My other "secret" top scope manufacturer is Meopta)

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought three of the Japanese Titans from a sports shop that was going belly up. I paid $300 total. Best value I ever got in optics.These are tough scopes, but they are heavy. Quick focus eyepiece but first plane reticle gets pretty skinny at low power, but there is absolutely no impact change when changing power. I also have a Japanese made Euro class in 6X42. Superb optics in a fixed power. I've looked through a couple of the Chinese Titans-no comparison.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input guys... I just dug mine out of the safe and it's definitely a Japan model and will stay on the rifle it came with.

I really like this scope and am glad to hear that it's as good as I suspected it was.

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are buil;t to the same specs and same glass as the SWFA Tasco Super Sniper scope.
I have a 3-12x52 coming and a 1-6 that sits on a 450 encore. great glass, for twice the money they would be a deal.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the tasco titans 1.6-6x42 mounted on a cut down marlin 1895 in 45/70 and it works great. Then when Leupold came out with the lps line they made a 1.5-6x42 i could not afford it at the time.Then they stopped making it. I just found one after about 4 years. Before i got the leupold i got two Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42. They have 4" of constant eye relief like the leupold lps with 64'8" FOV @ 100yds 30mm tube,fast focus eye piece. Nice scope you will not go wrong buying one! Doc Highwall.

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3-12x52 titan on sale in classifieds.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Garrett convinced me awhile back. I picked up two of them (30mm tube, 1X4) for $100 ea, new, for my 416 Rigby and .375 H&H.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have serval of theses scopes and have found them to be excellent. It seems they are the older Tasco which where made in Japan, not the same as todays crap.
Hang on to it. I sold one with a rifle under it and already regret it.

You won't find better robust scopes for the same money again.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"And the finger-adjustable windage and elevation controls make sighting-in simple."

That's some Tasco ad exec's spin. Too damn funny!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote