posted
I am curious as to your opinions/experiences with the
Burris Sixx 2-12x40 or 2-12x50 and
Leupold VX-2 4.5x14

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never been very impressed with the U.S.-produced Burris, much less the Filipino models. Don't know which it is that you mention here, but any scope which claims a six-times variable magnification ratio is either (1) lying, or (2) hugely compromising certain optical qualities to achieve such a skewed ratio.

Leupold doesn't make a "VX-2" (or VX-II) in 4.5-14, only a VX-III, recently supplanted by a newer model they write as "VX-3". Either of the "three" models are excellent scopes (as are the "II" models).

The 4.5-14 is an instrument of excellent quality made with very desirable features.
However, in my opinion, it is neither fish nor fowl, being a bit too high in magnification for big game hunting purposes and a bit low for long range varminting. I would recommend AT MOST a top power of 10X for hunting, and AT LEAST a top power of 18X for varminting.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Burris Black Diamond on a friend's rifle. The scope refused to focus. The reticle (or reticule, per Jack O'Connor) remained fuzzy. I sent it to Burris. They returned it saying it was OK.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several companies produce riflescopes with a 6x magnification range right now.
Bushnell with their 6500.

Burris with their SixX.

Swarovski with their Z6 Series.

Possibly others as well.

I have been very impressed with all of my US made Burris scopes and their PI made scopes are impressive as well.
I prefer a Burris to a comparable Leupold but that is just my opinion.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I've never been very impressed with the U.S.-produced Burris, much less the Filipino models. Don't know which it is that you mention here, but any scope which claims a six-times variable magnification ratio is either (1) lying, or (2) hugely compromising certain optical qualities to achieve such a skewed ratio.

Leupold doesn't make a "VX-2" (or VX-II) in 4.5-14, only a VX-III, recently supplanted by a newer model they write as "VX-3". Either of the "three" models are excellent scopes (as are the "II" models).

The 4.5-14 is an instrument of excellent quality made with very desirable features.
However, in my opinion, it is neither fish nor fowl, being a bit too high in magnification for big game hunting purposes and a bit low for long range varminting. I would recommend AT MOST a top power of 10X for hunting, and AT LEAST a top power of 18X for varminting.

Stonecreek you are right the VX-2 I meant to say 4-12 and not 4.5-14.
As far as not recommending anything over 10X for hunting. I think 12 to 14 power is great for longer shots

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
To each his own. I prefer Burris over Leupold myself. I think you pay too much for the name on alot of things. What ever you pick get all you can afford and you wont be sorry.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I'll take NIKON BUCKMASTER 4.5-14's or 6-18's over either of them and see clearly and sharply to the edge of the viewing field and have repeatability when dialing up and down as we do on a regular basis when varminting and SAVE SOME DOLLARS at the same time!!And if I want to spend a few more dollars I'll step up to the MONARCHS!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thank my lucky stars every day that there are shooters like youngoutdoors and groundhog to buy Burris and Nikon scopes. Otherwise, Leupolds would be even pricier than they are. THANKS GUYS!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Burris and after various reviews and comments I seen on them never plan to.

I actually like 4-12X, 4.5-14X and 4-16X scopes for everything from big game to varmints. I have several Leupold scopes in the first two denominations and like them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have four Burris scopes in the safe and three Leupold scopes. This in no way should indicate that I am a Burris fan...in truth I'm a Zeiss Victory / Diavari fan.

My Burris line-up: Fullfield 2 2x Pistol scope (I hardly count that), Sig-Select 3-12x44 (on my AR15), Euro-Diamond 1.1-4x24 IL, Euro-Diamon 3-10x42 IL.

My Leupold Lineup: VX-III 2.5-8x (on my .257 Roberts) and an FXIII 6x42 (backup on my .374 H&H). I also have an old M8 4x (on my Rem. 541 .22LR).

Am I a Burris fan? Sorta.

Am I a Leupold fan? Yes.

Am I a Ziess fan? Oh hell yeah!

Ok, review time.

The center to center optics of the Burris vs. the Leupold VXIII (or Vari-X III, or VX3 for that matter) are dang near identical. As close as exactly the same as I can remotely make out.

The edge to edge clarity definitely favors the Leupold scopes, being more accurate to the edges. The OAL clarity, taken as a whole, definitely leans to Leupold. The Burris MIGHT, and I mean MIGHT, actually favor Burris Euro-Diamond. Yeah, it's the that close.

Coatings-wise, the Burris scopes tend towards a yellow-ish tint. The Leupold scopes seem a tad more "natural" - your eyes may vary. Until I whack a few hogs at night I can't tell you enough to actually know. Comparing them at night outside my house in SoCal is a demonstration in futility. It's close - seriously close.

Here's the strange thing: I like the optics of the Burris Sig-Select 1" scopes more than the Euro-Diamond 30mm scopes. Don't ask me what the technical difference is: the edge to edge clarity of the 1" is better. Do an internet search (because, obviously, it must be true...) and read about it.

BUT! If you only look at the center clarity, the Burris is very, very good.

Two specific scopes: Leupold FXIII 6x42 vs. Euro-D 3-10x42 IL.

The Leupold IS brighter. Focused at 10pm and looking 500 yards away at the house across the ravine behind my house (house is illuminated) I'd say maybe, and I mean maybe, 3-5%. The FXIII is a just barely measurably crisp at the center largely due to clarity and/or coatings. I suspect it's the coatings. The Leupold tends a bit more to the blue spectrum, the Burris seems a bit more yellow.

How close is it? IMO, it's close enough optically that anyone this side of an anal-retentive Opthamologist shouldn't give a care.

Ok, let's talk about WHY I own 4x Burris scopes. I found the Euro-D 1.1-4x24 with an IL #4P scope for $400. I found the Euro-D 3-10x42 IL #4P scope for $440.

Can you say VALUE?

I wanted an IL scope for lower light hunting. I shot a piggie with my VXIII 2.5-8x this year...I couldn't make out the reticle. I was working off outer-edge reticle definition on a night sky. That was as tough a shot as I've EVER made.

At that point I decided that an IL scope was in my future.

Ok, so how does it compare to a Ziess Diavari 2.5-10x42?

The Burris lacks edge to edge definition. The Center clarity is there, but the edge to edge definition is missing. The Leupold is marginally better, but the center to center comparison is a wash.

Vs. the Diavari? Here's where the world changes: The Diavari is edge to edge perfect. There is such a natural feel visually to the Ziess it's uncanny. Is it clearer? Hell yeah. Is it brighter? Yeppers. Is it worth $1600 new (or $1200 via Cameraland Demo?) - aww hell. Yeah, it is. I really LIKE the Diavari. I bought it for being the #1 salesman in my company last year with my bonus.

BUT! IS the IL Dot of the Euro-D worth it on it's own? Oh wow.

I can't ID critters at the 12th hour with the Burris the way I can with the Diavari. But what
about actually SEEING the reticle? The IL dot is superb. The Ziess is damn good. But it's not an IL Dot.

It's a wash - the IL dot gives an edge in very low light conditions if you don't need absolute optics. But if you need the optics...the Ziess wins and the Leupold is indeed better.

As to warrantees: I lost the caps to my old M8 4x scope on my 541 .22LR. I called Leupold and asked them if I could buy a couple.

They put three in the mail for me and I had them in 48 hours. (Ok, so they are in the same County that I live in. Deal with it.)

I had a VXII 2-7 that was giving me problems. I shipped it over to them. They gave me an answer within a week. It wasn't the scopes fault. (Yep, it was user error. /sigh.)

No Charge. They wouldn't take a dime from me.

Hate Leupold all you want. They KNOW customer service. They DEFINE what service is.

All I can say is that I hope that I never have to use Burris' version of "service"! The reputation is mixed at best...and slow even by most reports.

Leupold vs. Burris: Quality for quality - it's a wash.

Leupold vs. Burris, the Service Wars: There's not comparison. Leupold wins. There's no comparison.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
As a shooter of heavy recoiling scoped handguns, I've had the opportunity to use Leupold's warranty service several times and it's no muss, no fuss, no whining and fast.

The reviews of the durability of Burris scopes on heavy recoiling is pretty poor and their customer service, from what I've heard, is abysmal.

By the way, I have a bunch of Leupold scopes and it seems I'm getting them for the same or less than you're paying for Burris scopes. Of course, I buy most of them used since Leupold's warranty service is excellent and covers you even if you didn't buy the scope new.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to be the naysayer here but I have a Burris FF II that has been put thru the wringer. It's been around long enough to prove it's worth. Tougher than nails. Good luck with Leupies too. I say shoot with the one that you have the most confidence in and you won't go wrong. Thanks
31 bertram