THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Needed with purchasing a Weaver K-3....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a lovely Arnold Griebel Engraved, Tom Shelhamer stocked, 7X57 small ring Mauser. I've been looking for the right scope with the proper "period look" and finish to mount and think the Weaver k3's straight tube would look great. Unfortunately later K3's have a slightly larger bell and aren't appropriate since the engraved bolt handle makes contact. Replacing rings isn't a solution either as these are engraved as well. I see plenty of used Weavers on sites such as eBay but am looking for someone to educate me on the difference between the various models such as K3, K3-1, K3-60B, K3-A etc. I know some are more desirable than others and I'd like to make the right decision. It's been especially difficult as I'm after a mint condition scope. I've even tried the Weaver repair people in Tulsa but they were unable to help me. If you can shed some light on these please give me a call or PM me your number and I'll call you. Thanks so much,

Ed 719-495-6560

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the nomenclature of the various editions of the K-3, but I do know that the earlier scopes had a smaller ocular bell. Your problem is going to be finding a Weaver that old which is both in good optical and cosmetic condition. Also, one that old may have a non-centered crosshair, which can be disconcerting.

Have you thought about a Lyman Alaskan 2.5 instead (or the Leupold reproduction of same)? It's a beautiful period scope, and you can get small plastic bushings to allow your current rings to fit the 7/8" body.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the 3 power wasn't introduced until a couple years after weaver brought out constantly centered crosshairs so there shouldn't be any issue with that. I've also found 2 1/2 power Weavers that were quite clear and still had the smaller eyepiece diameter. I just think that 3 power is as low as I prefer to go. I need to think about the 1" to 7/8" reducers as the one set I saw on a rifle left me pretty cold but thanks for the suggestion.

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm not familiar with the nomenclature of the various editions of the K-3, but I do know that the earlier scopes had a smaller ocular bell. Your problem is going to be finding a Weaver that old which is both in good optical and cosmetic condition. Also, one that old may have a non-centered crosshair, which can be disconcerting.

Have you thought about a Lyman Alaskan 2.5 instead (or the Leupold reproduction of same)? It's a beautiful period scope, and you can get small plastic bushings to allow your current rings to fit the 7/8" body.

You could look for smaller models in the old B&L 'Custom' scopes, too, and they will always have a constantly centred reticle. Mounts for modern rifles are a problem but Numrich et al may have some for old Mausers.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote