THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Anyone have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 scope...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 scope...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
wondering what Pro Series rings I should get?

Med or Extra High ?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
A 50mm objective is getting up there, so I suspect you might need high rings. Extra high might be for 56mm.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Terry-

It will depend heavily on what you are putting it on. For instance, on a Contender, most scopes with 50mm objectives work fine in low rings.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Terry-

It will depend heavily on what you are putting it on. For instance, on a Contender, most scopes with 50mm objectives work fine in low rings.

And also what you are using it for.

I have found that the higher the scope is mounted, the easier it is to spot your impacts, as the rifle jumps less.
But this is dependent on a stock which can be set up to suit the high scope (both cheek piece and butt plate).

On my .308 I have the scope mounted very nearly 3" over bore, and I can spot the impacts easily even at 100 yards. Rifle comes virtually straight back.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Peter, that is all to do with having less drop at the heel of the stock. If anything the scope may plunge at the front and rise slightly at the back, analogous with a car body when braked hard. That, I suppose, might even limit your target view for a millisecond.

I guess having a scope three inches above the bore might make it less likely the barrel will blot out your view and I guess you guys are both talking tactical rifles with no drop at heel, where extremely high mounts are needed to get your eye behind the ocular.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Yes, Peter, that is all to do with having less drop at the heel of the stock. If anything the scope may plunge at the front and rise slightly at the back, analogous with a car body when braked hard. That, I suppose, might even limit your target view for a millisecond.

I guess having a scope three inches above the bore might make it less likely the barrel will blot out your view and I guess you guys are both talking tactical rifles with no drop at heel, where extremely high mounts are needed to get your eye behind the ocular.

Mine is in no way a tactical rifle.
It is a single-shot informal-target-and-general-mucking-about rifle. And yes, it is mounted on a sloped rail, but that is just to be able to reach the ranges I shoot at with it using my old Nightforce scope, which has very limited travel compared to the latest scopes. The slope is only 20MOA though, and hardly visible.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote