cabelas scopes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
any good? how do they hold up against recoil? repeatable zero? love you

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The Alaskan Guide Series gets very good reviews. The Pine Ridge scopes make Cabela's customer service folks quite experienced in dealing with returns... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take one exception to the Pine Ridge comment by Mr. Tomek. I bought one of the pine ridge Blackpowder 2.5-7 models. I love this scope. Cabels's obviously rebadges other brands of scopes and while the standard pine rige stuff appears most similar to a Tasco Pronghorn, The blackpowder model appears similar to a Nikon Prostaff. Check it out for yourself, you won't be disappointed (especially for the price). I bought mine for 35 bucks on sale and I think the every day price is $70.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I take exception to the remark about the Pine Ridge scopes that Bobby Tomek made.

I have two of them, both fixed power 6's.

Bought them when Cabela's first came out with them, one is on my 375 H&H, the other is on Lora's 257 Robert's, have not had one bit of trouble out of either and our guns get banged around quite a bit.

I have not had to adjust the sighting on the one on my 375 since I sighted in for my Musk Ox hunt back in 2000, and I have shot a bunch of critters since then with that gun.

The only problem I have had with the one on Lora's 257 Roberts, turned out to not be a problem with the scope, but the bullets I was trying to use in her rifle.

Switched bullets and the gun shot where I wanted it to go.

I do admit that I never tried one of the Pine Ridge variables, so I don't know how good or bad they are, I know I have had no trouble with the fixwed power ones and wish I could get ahold of a couple of more of them for a couple of my other rifles.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and i'd agree with bobby. their big store is about 5 miles away from me & there are piles of pine ridge returned scopes in the bargain cave all the time. IME - I wouldn't waste the postage returning one. never tried the alaskan guide series - afraid to

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yep, there are literally boxes full of returned Pine Ridge scopes. They do offer a nice return policy, though, and make the exchange right then and there (if you have a store nearby).

As to the experience by crazyhorseconsulting, I will add this: it is MUCH easier to make a fixed power that will hold up than it is a variable. Most inexpensive fixed powers serve their owners very well. The same can't always be said of many low-end variables.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Alaskan series is a fine scope, heck, it's a great scope for the money. Two 3X9s, one on a 375 and the other a 300 winnie. They have flown all over the place and been banged around more than a couple of times. No problems at all.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Alaskan Guide Ranging scope on a 264Win Mag Encore barrel but have not shot it enough to know how it will hold up. The opticle quality is fair but not near as good as my Burris BlackDiamond, though in all fairness the CAG cost about half as much as my BBD.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Alaskan Guide series scope on my 308 Savage. Good scope, no complaints. I also have a Pine Ridge on a 25-06 that I have had no problems with as well. Truthfully , I have not used it nearly as much as I have the Alaskan Guide model. I think that they are pretty good for the money.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My buddy had a Pine Ridge on his 17 HMR savage. To put it directly, it was a piece of crap. It shot fine for a few range sessions, then suddenly went to hell. We though something happened to his rifle, but after swapping one of my scopes to it to test, it was the scope. Lost zero and wouldn't adjust.

I have an Alaskan Guide on my 257 wby mag. It seems a decent scope. I've only had it on one hunt so far, but it's held up to numerous trips to the range also. It's not up to a Nikon Monarch or VXIII, but it's decent enough. I'm waiting to see what it's like after a few more hunting trips are through it. It's BIG for it's power and I could really live without the huge rubber gasket rapped around the objective (for the adjustable objective).

The 2 different scopes definitely seem to be made by 2 different companies with different levels of quality.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a rifle from someone I knew for way less than what it was worth. He sold cheap because it would not shoot for him.

I did not even try out the Pine Ridge scope.
It went straight to the bone pile.

The rifle shoots fine with a real scope.

The guy died, and I gave the rifle back to his son, without the pine ridge scope.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several people take exception to Tomek's comments. He/she makes many commenets that are just wrong. What is the application of the scope you are considering?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote