THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Nightforce SHV or something else for $1200 in a 6-24x50

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce SHV or something else for $1200 in a 6-24x50
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Looking at 30mm options for a long range set up.

The SHV has capped turrets, is 2nd focal plane, is a Nightforce, and is 30mm.

The Vortex PST is 1st focal plane, is made in the Phillipines and is 30mm.

Riton has a similar product to these.

GPO has a similar product to these but made in Germany.

Not sure where to go.

I have the $1200 Leupold VXIII 8.5-25. It has a fussy eyebox, shit lowlight capability and only really works at about 15-20 power.

I also own a Meopta 6-24x56. It has a good eyebox, beautiful image (considered to be an Alpha by a lot of people) but is weird on every other aspect. MOA turret, mil reticle.

I can get the SHV for about $900, the rest are between 750-950 through a friend of mine that owns a gunshop.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Normally I'd be pushing the Vortex brand just because they have been great for me. But I don't own any of their riflescopes in this price range.

My Cooper Model 52 in .257wby has an SHV illuminated 5-20x56 and it is really bright and clear. I don't shoot as much long distance as others on this forum, but from what I can tell it is a quality scope that isn't too heavy like some of the other offerings (Vortex Razor HD are pretty heavy).

The capped turrets are nice. I had an open turret Vortex and I was always worried about it moving while I was hunting. My friend never "reset" his turret caps to 0 after sighting in on his Nikon Black X1000 rifle scope on his 28 Nosler. Made for a panic at the end of deer season when he missed and couldn't look and see if they were moved since he hadn't done that at the range.

I'm putting my Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56mm (35mm tube, FFP) on the market soon. It has the Midwest Industries Quick Detach mount/Rings with it ($235). Trying to decide if Facebook is a better idea over trying to ship this expensive ($$$) setup. I think this set up is strictly for long range targets at the range. I bet with the mount/rings this set up is over 40oz+. I have a funny photo of it on a cheap Ruger American for the for sale ad...but may re-take the pictures with it on an NEF snake-charmer .410.

I think you are looking in the right direction at the SHV. If you were close to Hobbs or so I wouldn't mind meeting in person if you wanted to check out the Mark5 or the SHV.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x44 is outstanding.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vortex is not as clear as the SHV, I just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse and they had both.

I'll keep looking.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Nightforce seems to have a formidable reputation but, for long-term reliability and range-finding matters, first-focal-plane scopes would be my choice. I suppose they could have additional heavy stuff at the front of the erector tube, to be hammered around by recoil inertia, but at least the zero should never be lost when changing magnification.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate and consistent turrets are essential for what you are planning. Leupold will be neither (much as I like the brand).
I would expect the SHV to be fine, but you wont know for sure without doing some testing. If you can't do that, i would go for the Nightforce.(still check the adjustments after you get it)

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Leupold VXIII 8-25 would prove true that Leupold's quality is not quite as good as they claim. But their warranty is pretty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an SHV on my 338-06ai. It stays zeroed, is absolutely repeatable and tough as a brick. It’s been on that rifle for about 5 years and it gets used a lot...I really like it!

Posts: 502 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, as you have said with Nightforce, you have to spend a lot more to get that level of scope.