New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell 6500 elite series
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lightly entertaining buying one of these in 2.5-16x40 Duplex but have not noted much for reviews or comments or reviews of quality. Would like to hear from someone who owns or has owned one before I considered purchase.My motive no doubt would be to get the added low and high range feature but want decent glass and durabily as well?

Posts: 135 | Location: N.D | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of them. One is on a 300 RUM and the other is on a 338RUM. The reason I bought the first one for the 300 Rum is I liked the clarity of the optics and the range of magnification. At 2 1/2 power you have a wide field of view if you are in thick bush. If you are in the open at long distance you have 16 power. No other scope has such a wide range. I have the mil dot reticles on both. Great scope for those rifles.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman, Was glad to hear your reply as I was looking at this scope for the identical reasons you where.I want something for close range coyote calling situations as well as the ability to make those longer shots when they hang up and have a more visible target. Sound like a good concept. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avoid the 4-30 as it grays out above 20X.

You didn't mention budget, so hard to make a "what is best" suggestion. IME the 4-16x50 Schmidt with the special varmint reticle is the best there is ...... it's also over 2 grand.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed I looked at the Schmidt and Bender and it is quite impressive but back to price I intend on staying at or below the one grand range.Lots of choices anymore. Ive even considered the Leup. VX-R with variable size illuminated dot in 4-12 power with CDS adjustment which are quite reasonably price but would not allow for any wind drift but I could probobly live with that on a coyote rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in 1.25-8, and I don't much care for it. Great eye relief and range, but I've been spoiled by good Euro glass, and there is a bit of distortion that I find unacceptable.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I've got one in 1.25-8, and I don't much care for it. Great eye relief and range, but I've been spoiled by good Euro glass, and there is a bit of distortion that I find unacceptable.

That and the 2.5-16 both have extremely large range multiples, a tendency that I suspect will end in tears because of the inertia consequences of the long erector tube needed.

Also, any scope that goes to 16x will need constant parallax adjustment, something that seems great until the game pops up and you either don't have time or forget about it.

I tried an Elite 3-12 a while back and quite liked it, though. It had much better field blending than the Zeiss Duralyt, at least. And since we are talking something that should be a sight first and a telescope second, that is more important to me than the overall clarity of the lens.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drifter,
I have 2, one has the DOA reticle, the other the mil-dot reticle. I like both and the clarity for my eyes, is exceptional. I shoot alot at distance and find the turrets to be repeatable. I dont know if its my eyes or the way the crosshairs are designed but they seem to glow with a bronze cast at twilight. I like that feature. For the money I think they are a good bargain. I do have or have had Schmidt, Mightforce, USO, Nikon and Leupold so I do have some empirical data to compare.

Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, my fingers dont work well...that was Nightforce...

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the word "compromise" was invented for optics. To get something, you have to give something up. The 6500 has a property that I am sure has a descriptive word in optic speak, but I don't know what it is. When panning across an area, the image seems to swell as it crosses the center area, and shrink at the edges. To borrow a word from acoustics, I call it "wow." It just plain annoys me.
It isn't fair to compare a piece of glass in this price range to the Swaro Z6, but that scope has a 6X magnification range, and the magicians at Swarovski have avoided this property.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You're probably safe with Swarovski, Marty, and it was their advertising that alerted me to dangers of modern riflescope design. Not only will you get a superior glass there but they claim to have solved the erector-tube inertia danger by using multiple coil springs to hold it against the turret adjustments, rather than the usual flat spring.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well right or wrong finally sent off an order. Although I do have some Swarvoski glass I made the decesion for my coyote calling needs to mount a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Illum. Dot Reticle and CDS turret set to my CZ 204 Ruger Load Data. And another identical unit only 4-12x40 on my Cooper Mod 42 in 22-250. Thought about going 50mm Ojective briefly but decided not. Havent recevied second unit yet but 3x9 offered excellent clarity in that price range and 8 adjustable dot ranges readily cover different sized targets. Now well see how the CDS settings work out as Ive never tried this exact concept before, although many comment they work well???? I guess positive will be posted latter and negative results will probobly be best viewed in the Classifieds. Hope not and enjoyed everyones personal views.