Find
Notify
Tools

BSA Sweet .22?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I asked for one of these in 6-18x Christmas as my "main item", which means I will most likely get it. Thing is, I didn't really do my homework, I can't find any information on how much the different drums adjust for each bullet weight. Does anyone know what brands of ammunition match the trajectory compensation closest? Also, what kinds of experiences has anyone had with them? I asked for it for an old Marlin of mine that shows promise, with a Simmons 3-9x 8-point that won't focus at 25 yards on more than 3x I have got several sub 1/10 inch groups. Hopefully sub .25 will become the norm with a better scope that will focus at closer ranges better.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a BSA sweet 17 and I sent it back because it would NOT return to zero when I made range adjustments. I would not recommend this scope. Have you looked at the Burris ballistic plex?--JM.

Posts: 60 | Location: CA USA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

I agree with Helidriver. Stay away from the BSAs. I had one on an air rifle, absolutely terrible scope both optically and mechanically and their other scopes I've looked through are no better. I hate to say it but they really are junk, you'd be better off with iron sights than the BSA scopes I've seen.

The first thing you want to determine is whether you really need a scope with that much magnification on a .22. If you really do need a high power scope something like the 3-12x or 6-18x Bushnell Banners with adjustable objective should be in the same price range as the BSA and will be a better scope or if you can swing it I agree that the Fullfield IIs are a very good value and a great scope but in the higher magnification ranges substantially more money.

IMO, you would be much better off getting a higher quality lower power scope like a 3x9 Burris or Weaver, then you have a real scope that will last you a lifetime. If you really want a higher power scope you might try to find one of the older Japanese made Tasco Mag IV scopes with adjustable objective, I have had one of the 4-16x scopes on a .243 varmint rifle for well over 20 years with no problems.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm glad I checked this post again several days later, I'm just looking for a higher magnification for longer range shooting. Not really needed, but makes it easier.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The ballistic plex is very close to some 7mm remington Magnum loads I am thinking of trying, I might get one for the 7mm RM, but I can't justify spending that much on a .22 scope, and I'm not sure if it works well with something like a .22? A $200+ scope is too expensive of a present too, I'm getting a gun safe which kind of eats from my chritmas presents from everyone.