THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meopta Meostar scope for dangerous game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with Meopta Meostar scopes for hunting dangerous game?

I looked at them at the SCI show in January and they appeared to have pretty good optics. I would like to know if there is anyone with first hand experience with them.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sorry, can't help you on the Dangerous game note but, I do have a MM sitting in the safe right now mounted on a 7RM that I'm doing custom loads for.

It's a nice scope and it's clear. The 7RM is not hardly a DG rifle so I don't know how much recoil they can stand.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Meopta Meostar on a .375 H&H broke after 32 rounds shooting of the bench.
The gunshop I both it from let me exchange it for a Leupold.

May be just bad luck with the Meopta?

Good luck,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland,

I do not think your bad luck is representative of Meopta. It is a well made scope with good glass. The Meostar range has better glass than the Artemis range.

Meopta has also dramatically improved their light transmission per glass surface with new proprietary IMB-5501 anti reflective coatings and a unique ION assisted applications process, which ensures increased light transmission of 99.8% per glass surface!
This puts them in line with any German/Austrian glass.

Regarding the durability of the scope I wish to publish some personal correspondence between me and Meopta to reflect how they test their scopes, and I quote ...

"Regarding durability and ruggedness, each and every Meopta scope is shock tested, both in our labs and by live firing. Our scopes are tested in the lab by repeatedly simulating recoil of a .50 BMG for an extended period of time and then we randomly select samples from production for live fire testing. The rifle manufacturer Česká Zbrojovka also uses Meopta riflescopes when testing all of their big-bore rifles. So, in short, our scopes are designed and built to withstand the most rigorous shooting conditions and with the heaviest calibers. As far as reticles, all Artemis and Meostar riflescopes feature etched glass reticles, we do not use wire or “foil” in our reticle construction."

Now they have just brought out a 1-inch tube in 3-9x42 mm that should hit the shelves in May that should be a winner for them. They have also improved the eye relief from 80 mm to 90 mm. Also, their all new MeoTrak II posi-click adjustment system offers extremely precise 1/4" @ 100 yards, finger adjustable windage and elevation settings, superior tracking capabilities and exceptional, shot after shot repeatability is claimed.

The MeoPro 3-9x42

- One piece tube crafted from high grade aluminium alloy
- Advanced internal optics package ensures repeatable, shockproof reliability
- Multiple antireflective MeoBrite 5501 ion assisted lens coatings ensure the same crisp, brilliant image found in all our optics
- 1" main tube diameter (25,4mm)
- Choice of #4 and Z-Plex 11 reticles situated in the second (non-magnifying) focal plane
- Nitrogen purged and sealed body for guaranteed fogproof, dustproof and waterproof performance
- Independant W&E adjustments with positive-step increments of ¼in/100yd (0.7cm/100m)

Specifications

- Magnification 3-9x
- Optical lens diameter (mm) 42
- Field of view (m/100m) 6.05-4.02
- Eye relief (mm) 90
- Dioptric range of eyepiece (D) -3/+2

These are their suggested retail prices in Europe for each of the three models offered:

MeoPro 3-9x42 – 369 EUR
MeoPro 4-12x50 –399 EUR
MeoPro 6-18x50 –469 EUR

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to know if there is anyone with first hand experience with them.

FE,

It does not look like the Meopta scope is widely in use in the States, even in SA the numbers are small. Your main question was, if I have it correctly, the durability issue on big bore rifles for DG hunting.

I got an answer from Meopta on that score, and that is the one I posted (see para above in red). To get more out ouf them, I probed for some kind of a comparison to gain a relative feel as to how it compares with rival scope brands ... here is their answer:

"As far as comparisons to other brands, we generally do not like to pigeon hole ourselves by claiming that our products are equal or better than such and such brand, but you can be confident that whether Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX II / 3, or a similar model, the MeoPro line will hold its own in terms of edge-to-edge clarity, precision adjustment and repeatable on-target shooting". .... Surujh Roopnarine.

Three new improvements stand out:

1) The MeoPro 1" series claims a new level of precision adjustment by virtue of their all new MeoTrak II posi-click adjustment system, which offers extremely precise 1/4" @ 100 yards, being finger adjustable.

2) Also, Meopta has dramatically improved their light transmission per glass surface with new proprietary IMB-5501 anti reflective coatings and a unique ION assisted applications process, which ensures increased light transmission of 99.8% per glass surface!

3) Eye relief has been increased from 80mm to 90 mm.

When available in my country, I will definitely take a closer look at them - sounds like a hot prospect to me.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meostar 1x4 for DG ---- Absolutly German #4 crosshair
Have one on a 35 Whelen shooting 250gr and 310gr
Woodleighs. It has been to Africa on 2 trips,
killed 10 animals (all one shot kills) Never lost zero or had a problem. Installed another one on a Dakota 416 Rigby, no kills yet, just range work, very satisfied. Rest of my scopes are Schmidt & Bender. Can't tell much difference in quality now with 65 year old eyes but the price is right at $500 per each. I have more confidence in these than the Leoupold VX-III. Have not tried the VX-7
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote