New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sightron 1x7 for DG scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just looked at the new Sightron 1x7 Ill 30mm scope. It is a straight tube that is 12.5 inches
long. I think it has 3.8 to 4.8 inches of eye relief. It has a very heavy reticle and the illuminated dot is very large (maybe too large)
10.5 inches at 1 power and 1.5 inches at 7 power. The crosshairs are about 1/3 that size.
FOV at 1x is over 90 feet at 100 yards. What do members think?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't use Sightrons, but if you were to buy that scope, I recommend you put a couple of hundred full power loads through tohe gun to see if the scope will hold up.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
I have not seen this scope but it seems like a good candidate for a DG scope because of the long eye relief, wide FOV, and long tube length which should be at least 8" of mounting surface. The illuminated reticle also has a life time warrantity which is a lot longer than the two years offered by Leupold. At 20 ozs it may be a little on the heavy side. I have a different model Sightron on a light weight 300 Mag and I have not had any problems.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Understood. I won't spend $700-$1000 for a Sightron.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 20 ounce weight would bother me as that is a lot of mass to add to a DG rifle. Learned a long time ago the more a scope weighs the more prone it is to moving in the rings.

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just get a Trijicon 1-4X30 mm and be done with it. Your choice of color posts for DG. Red, Green or Amber About 14 oz and plenty of eye relief. Put one on my 416 Rigby (amber post) and no problems after over 400 rounds. If big cats are a possibility then consider the German #4 with illuminated dot (your choice of color again) for more precise shot placement. I have shot a post for over 30 years and have no problem with this sight picture. Some people do, like my wife so she shoots the Germ#4 with green dot on her Mod 70 375 H&H

Good Hunting and Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 20 ounce weight would bother me as that is a lot of mass to add to a DG rifle.

It's a lot of mass to add to any rifle. Smiler

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote