New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Springfield 840 and I am looking for a scope that will allow the bolt to work properly.

A 4x10-14 x40 ish. It needs a small occular to clear the bolt handle. The pentax I just bought has a occular that is a little to large.
I am using a weaver #1 base and rings if that helps. It is a .222. Thank you gentlemen for any advise or help you can give me. Shoot straight shoot often and live long.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Springfield 840

Perhaps a Burris 4x Mini or Leupold 4x (28mm obj.) might work.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking for a little higher mag. 4x10-16 x40.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold Compact (now Ultralight) series has a smaller ocular bell, but the highest magnification available is 3-9X. However, I have several of these scopes and would think its magnification ample for most applications of your .222 Springfield (same as Savage 340, correct?)

As I recall, this action requires the use of an offset mount which is not centered over bore, correct?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield model 840 series E (stamped Savage Arms) which was my grandmother's "deer rifle". It originally had a Weaver K-3 scope on it on top of Weaver 1" side mounts. The mounts on my rifle are centered directly over the bore.
A few years ago I decided to change out the scope to a higher magnification to assist me in greeting some coyotes around the house. I had the same trouble as B78-22250. I also had trouble finding a scope that did not have a enlarged wind./elev.housing around the tube at 9 & 6 o'clock which otherwise would not allow it to sit down in the one-piece Weaver rings. I ended up with a Bushnell 4-12 Trophy, I believe it is called. I had to take a Dremmel Tool and modify (lightly) the bolt handle some. The handle still grazes the ocular some on occasion. I plan on taking it to a smith and have the handle ball lowered (heated and bent) some as there is plenty room to do so.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote