New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digiscoping?? Help??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to buy a high quality spotting scope that allows me to take pictures. I do not know anything about them. Do you look through the camera while you are taking a picture?? Or do you have to set the spotting scope first, then put the camera on the spotter?? Which one is the easiest to use, yet yields good quality at distances to 400 yards or so?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
If You want a good/cheap possibility You may Take Swarovski´s EL binoculars together with a snap-shot adaptor, which works with the most cameras.

look here:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...rnglaeser/index.html
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...fernrohre/index.html

If You want something more professional, take the ATS / STS spotters - they have camera bases therefor as well...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the easiest set up out there check out this Minox .... Minox Digiscoping Set

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3659 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking rig. I have never owned any Minox optics, but I have heard good things.

I see thgat the eyepiece is 40X. What is the magnification of power when the camera is on the body instead of the eyepiece??

Is the case large enough to hold a small tripod?? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The interior of the case is already portioned for the gear it comes with. If you purchased a new interior foam and recut it for the extra item I think it would also fit in the case.

The camera is a 40x mag too, here is the info on the Minoc DEC 5.0. It really is a great unit that is available for the following spotters:
Minox
Leica
Kowa
Swarovski
Zeiss

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3659 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a quality of optics stand point. What is more limiting, the camera, or the spotter body?? In other words would a better spotter body take a better quality picture??

I looked at the Spotter body on your site. I noticed you had a "Sample" spotter body on sale. Could this sample body be inserted into your package for a lower package price?? Thanks, Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Minoc DEC 5.0 package is discounted down approx $300.00 as a kit so it would not save any money to buy it in separates

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have owned several different brands of optics. I constantly traded up as I could afford the better glass. When I got my pair of Swarovski 8X56 SLC's, I could not believe the dramatic increase in quality or clarity. These binoculars are top notch. I also have a few good rifle scopes. Including Swaro, Zeiss, and S&B.

I kind of had my mind made up to go with a Zeiss or Swaro body, then figure out the camera situation. My only problem is that I am truly ignorant to the whole camera "DEAL".

What is going to be the "Weak" link in clarity. The camera or the spotter?? Or in other words can the camera take advantage of the increased ability of the Swaro or Zeiss body??

I am in the market to buy one. And where I live there is no place large enough that stocks these products. I could drive some distance, but I am a handicapped hunter and driving any distance is a real "adventure".

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned the Zeiss 60mm with 15x40 eyepiece,sold the whole kit here a while ago...

Had the swingaway camera mount,I liked it,used it for some shot in the yard for birds.Takes a little bit to set one up,and get good photos.Both cameras I used (canon,sony)hunt and peck a bit for focus,but always worked....

My Canon Xti with a 100-400 L is way better,by LOTS.About the same price in the end...

Depends how good of photo you want....

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quality spotter is essential. You can use this minox DEC 5.0 Digiscoping eyepiece with a Zeiss or a Swaro for the finest results. Please feel free to call me to discuss it

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside for future options, I just saw Zeiss has announced it will produce a spotter with an on-board/integral digital camera. I'm not sure when this new product will actually become available, but they displayed their new device on a European show.

I have not quite considered the pros and the cons of an integral camera (e.g. no pictures without spotter), but at least it should make spotter-camera interfaces superfluous.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote