New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold crosshairs not squared
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have noticed on a few Leupold scopes, even my VX-6, when the vertical crosshairs is plumb, the horizontal crosshairs is not level...it is slightly canted to the left. An exaggerated example-left end of horizontal crosshairs at 8 o'clock, right end at 2 o'clock. Anyone else notice this?

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're saying that the crosshairs do not meet at a ninety degree angle, then I suspect that your eye is subject to some optical illusion.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have another pair of eyes take a look. If it still does not look right, send it back to Leupold.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If it only does it with one eye but not with both eyes then it it your vision.

Otherwise,

+1 Send it back to Leupold

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just last month had cataracts removed and lens implanted in both eyes. My master eye is now 20/15. The problem existed before the surgery and still does after the surgery. Guess I'll call Leupold.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before taking that action. Why not draw a "square" cross on a large poster. Set it out 20 yards and see if the cross hairs in your scope cover those on the poster? If they do it may be an issue with your visual perception. If it does not cover exactly, it will confirm your suspicions. Might save you some postage.
If you have a large carpenters square you should be able to accurately draw your confirmation target.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea and a sensible suggestion. Smiler

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Could this be another consequence of having the adjustments at the edge of their travel?

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw,
Leopold allows themselves 3 degrees off plum on their reticles or at least they used to... I doubt things have improved. I've seen people level off an M1(Mark 4)Turret expecting it to be square with the reticle only to wind up very, very unhappy... About the only way you can actually find out is running the elevation turret up a perfectly plum line with the rifle bagged in tight. I usually shoot the the line to find if the reticle or the scope/erector system is off... Gravity does not lie short of wind...(grin)

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Could this be another consequence of having the adjustments at the edge of their travel?

fwiw & imho,
No scope, whether it be a Schmidt Bender PMII or a Leupold, perform well when zeroed at the extremes of elevation(or for heaven's sake windage)travel. It does nothing positive for the optical image(vignetting) or for travel accuracy. Granted Schmidt Bender tells you how much inclination the scope needs to function properly...

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed Leupold think no one would notice three degrees - I take it we are talking the relationship between the horizontal and vertical wires, not cant in the whole thing.

The eye is a neatness nazi and I read somewhere that it can detect very small errors in squareness, possibly less than a degree.

On the other hand, wearing specs can cure you of that, after looking at curving architraves for a while. When mounting scopes I tend to trace the direction of the lower post down through something like the striker slot in the receiver.

That said, years ago my father and I mounted a Japanese scope that came with a rail and long side clamps - two sets, for high or low mounting. By some paralysis of the intellect we somehow used one high clamp and one low. By the time we noticed the cant and realised what caused it, the spare clamps had been thrown away by another kind of neatness fanatic.

PS: the word I really needed above was cornices instead of architraves. By that I mean that the ceiling can sometimes look slightly vaulted when caught in the top of your lenses.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopold said to return the two scopes to them for service. I have a griz hunt in May....think I'll wait till after the hunt if they are shooting OK on sight in.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm amazed Leupold think no one would notice three degrees - I take it we are talking the relationship between the horizontal and vertical wires, not cant in the whole thing.

No, I think the poster was speaking of the relationship of the reticle to the body of the scope. That is, with the upper turret perfectly straight up, the vertical hair could be as much as 3 degrees off of plumb (however, the hairs would still meet at a 90degree angle.)

I doubt there would be this much latitude in the crosshair orientation, however, and tend to dismiss this assertion as a wives' tale without some kind of documentation as to its origin.

I suspect that your speculation about the scope being close to maximum adjustment may be the proper explanation. As the lens reaches the edge of the optical field you might encounter such an aberration.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
It is NOT a wives tail or a buddy of friend's neighbor told my uncle's barber. Leopold & Stevens will tell you that their specification for the platinum wire reticles was/is up to three degrees from actual square. Take away from that what you will... As an aside I generally like Leopold...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

No, I think the poster was speaking of the relationship of the reticle to the body of the scope. That is, with the upper turret perfectly straight up, the vertical hair could be as much as 3 degrees off of plumb (however, the hairs would still meet at a 90degree angle.)

I guess I could live with that, as I would try mounting it with the reticle square to the bore, oblivious of the turrets. There could be minor deviations in tracking when zeroing, of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, No, the problem is that the crosshairs don't meet at a 90 Deg angle. When the vertical crosshair is plumb, the horizontal crosshair is not level. It runs slightly "downhill" to the left. If Leupold tolerances allow up to 3 deg, that may be what I'm experiencing.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would not want to put up with that, Phil, even if only two degrees out. There are probably people banging heads on padded walls for less.

If the Leupold warranty is up to scratch, they should fix or replace the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Stonecreek,
It is NOT a wives tail or a buddy of friend's neighbor told my uncle's barber. Leopold & Stevens will tell you that their specification for the platinum wire reticles was/is up to three degrees from actual square. Take away from that what you will... As an aside I generally like Leopold...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt.

If that is what "Leupold & Stevens will tell you" then it would be helpful for them to tell you that in writing then post it here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I simple don't Leupold let a scope get by them like that and it would be all but impossible as the cross hairs are of one piece. I realize anything is possible but this is extremely unlikely.. I have a bunch of Leupolds and have owned hundreds of them..

I do know that on occasions a scope will appear cocked, then later it looks balanced. I have seen that illusion on any scope that I know was square and with any scope..I also have looked thru someone elses scope and it was cocked to me and square to them or visa versa, all of have.

I have, in fact, mounted scopes square with my scope squaring jobbys...then two days later it looks funny so I have to do it over, then its fine...and if a scope is just a little out of its focus or if its out of its focal plane, all kinds of things will look wrong and it will not perform to perfection..

So many scopes are mounted out of their focal plane it's unreal, and problems are going to happen sooner or later.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote