THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20 Rifle Scope, FireDot Pig Plex Reticle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20 Rifle Scope, FireDot Pig Plex Reticle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where I hunt we can shoot hogs 24/7/365. Most shots are under 150 yds. Usually early morning before shooting light, or just before dead dark. In fact I've taken to mounting an XLR 250 kill light for illumination.
When I saw this I thought hmmm. I might just try it out.

Any of ya'll had the opportunity to try this one out yet. Seems like it would be fun.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting...x-r-1-25-4x20mm-hog/

Your thoughts?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I don't have a VX-R yet, but it's on the schedule. A 2x7x33 will be perfect for my 375 Ruger. I have been doing the night hog thing for several years now. I have tried several
ill ret's and was not happy with them. I put a Mueller 2x7 Sport Dot on my 5.6/12 combo. The 1" dot is
perfect when turned very low for night use. It is amazing how much easier it is at night to lock in. There is something about that red dot that allows the focus on the game rather than looking for the black crosshair on a black target. I have a heavy duplex 1.75x6 Leupy on the 375 and it works at night, but the red dot is so much better. I like the Mueller so well I put a 3x9 sport dot on the 7x65 combo. I'v got the kill light set up
on 3 diff guns--it is great. Not trying to sell Mueller, but the micro-dot ret is perfect for my hunting and the Leupy will be put on the 375 as soon as funds allow. Oh, one question on the Leupy tho', what is the size of the dot at 100?
I have not found that in the Leupy data. The 1" in the Mueller is perfect for me.

Posts: 165 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reply from Leupy-----1" moa--can't wait to order the 2x7 already have the rouger 30 mm rings. Look ot pigs..!!!!!!!

Posts: 165 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
The VX-R 2-7x33 will be more useful I think.

posted Hide Post
You guys in SE USA have it made with all those hogs to shoot.....I have a Marlin 45-70 GS I'd love to slam some pork with...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have this scope with the #4 Firedot on my 338-06. It is a very nice piece - especially for what you are intending.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
I have this scope with the #4 Firedot on my 338-06. It is a very nice piece - especially for what you are intending.

Thanks for the nod.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote