THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less expensive scopes for heavy kickers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at scopes for my .416 rem mag, though I won't be running full power loads for quite a while now.
I would like something with true 1 power, 1-4 or whatever. And I would very much like an illuminated reticle of some sort. I passed on a deer last year because I couldn't see the crosshairs in the shade.
Suggestions welcome.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, Michael458 has probably shot more big caliber rounds than anyone here, and he opts for the Nikon safari scopes. I have on one my 500 MDM with no issues to date. Good value for the money as well.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon 1x4 on a 404 and like it quite a bit. I believe it is a true 1 power. The reticle is illuminated without the need for batteries. Price is not bad. I would also look at the Leupold 1.5x5. Although it is 1.5 power it seems to give good service and is modestly priced.
I don't have first hand experience but the Leupold VXR line seems well thought of.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leupold VX III. Not illuminated but a tough scope. I have three. One on a .416 Taylor,375 H&H and .460 Wby. New they are 399.00 and sometimes you can find them here used for 250 and up.

Posts: 66 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 07 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is any sense in trying to get a cheaper scope (or any modern scope) for a rifle like that. However, you might consider a Leupold VX-3 or better as these apparently have twin rare-earth erector tube springs to counter heavy recoil. I have some resistance to the VX-6, though, as I suspect high magnification multiples may put more weight forward in the erector tube, lifting the punishment under recoil.

Alternatively, you could scour the internet for an old low-power Zeiss/Hensoldt, Nickel Supra or B&L 'Custom' scope and mounts. None of these brands' reticle-movement models had hinged erector tubes and the B&L should be solid as a rock inside.

Decent ones under $200 are not hard to find but getting mounts is the challenge.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX2 1-4

Nikon Monarch 1-4

Both tough scopes. I have the Nikon on my .416 and it has been rock solid for 400+ rounds.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Nixon Monarch 1x4 put on a 458 Lott and was not happy with the size of the turrets. Some of my shooting drills have me moving and loading my bolt guns on the move compared to my Swaro Z6 and a Leupold VX3 I felt the windage turret got in the way of loading the rifle.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I bought a Nixon Monarch 1x4 put on a 458 Lott and was not happy with the size of the turrets. Some of my shooting drills have me moving and loading my bolt guns on the move compared to my Swaro Z6 and a Leupold VX3 I felt the windage turret got in the way of loading the rifle.

This is seen as an issue in DG rifles. Nickel used to make many of their scopes with the windage on the left side, though the turret hardly stuck out at all.

Mechanically, however, I suspect the reticle might relocate with less wear after recoil, when a right-hander shoots, if the knob is on the right side.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a young PH in Namibia who had a Tasco on his 416.
Personally, I have Leu VXII 1.5 x 5's on my Africa rifles, including 458 Lott. Never a failure.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a problem for the turret if you are left handed with a left hand action lol

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and old but nice condition Weaver 1.5X big game scope..These are really hard to find these days. Make great DG rifle scopes..small compact and tough. I'd trade it for something or sell it for $300.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote