New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two thumbs up for my new Burris BD!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally made it to the range yesterday to shoot my new 22-250 rifle with Burris BlackDiamond 6-24X50 with Ballistic Mil-dot reticle. It is fantastically clear and the rifle shoots great. I can see the bullet holes in the target at 100yds easily.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Lucky

At what power does it say to set the scope in order to use the BMD dots? I have the 4x16x50 and it says to put it on 14 power.

Just wondering.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. All I can find in the book is 14X-16X.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
So you can crank it up to 24 power but then have to lower the power to 14 or so before you can use the reticle? I'm not sure how that would work out.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you do is shoot at the rodent.
When there is a miss, notice how far off in terms of dots.
Then on the next shot, compensate.

Or one could learn their clicks to dots ratio at 24X.

What does it all mean?
We don't need the distance between two dots to represent a milliradian [(.001) radians], it could be less at 24 power. As long as the error is detected in dots, stay in the units of dots at 24X for the correction.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey tnekkcc

This is a Ballistic Mil Dot not a regular mil dot scope. There are only about 4 dots below the crosshairs and the distance between the dots get greater as you go down the vertical crosshair. This is supposed to be precalculated for the ballistics of a 22-250 55 gr Sierra Boat Tail at a muzzle velocity of 3680 fps. Just zero the crosshairs at 100 and the other dots should correspond to 200, 300, 400, 500 etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like to apply my ballistic reticles at the highest power. My BMD 6-24X SS also has to be recalc'd for 24X. I just went out and measured the subtension for each stadia @ 24X, then calculated the avg. change in percent and recalculated each stadia subtension once more to get the most accurate measurements possible.

What a shame they didn't simply have the 4-16X subtensions correct at 16X?? I don't understand that one.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
I also like to apply my ballistic reticles at the highest power. My BMD 6-24X SS also has to be recalc'd for 24X. I just went out and measured the subtension for each stadia @ 24X, then calculated the avg. change in percent and recalculated each stadia subtension once more to get the most accurate measurements possible.

What a shame they didn't simply have the 4-16X subtensions correct at 16X?? I don't understand that one.

All this could have been avoided if the reticles were on the first focal plane, you could use the dots at any power setting.
bigbull

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:

So let me try to get my mind wrapped around this one. So the BMD dots subtend the following at 100yds at 14x

zero
-.8"
-2.4"
-4.6"
-7.2"
-10.43"

at 24x they would theoretically subtend the following

-.47"
-1.4"
-2.7"
-4.2"
-6.1"

How can you adapt and use that? At what yardages do the dots land on at 24x?