New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Scope Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a Lyman Wolverine 8X 50s vintage which suddenly began giving improved cylinder patterns on a like vintage Sako 222(1/2"groups to 15")Who does best repairs on these scopes?Thanks.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a shame when a great old scope goes South. There are practically no shops left that are competent to work on them. Recently, the guy in El Paso who was a factory foreman for Weaver shut down his scope repair business to retire.

There may be someone out there who can fix your old Lyman, but I've heard of at least one so-called repair shop recently where the proprietors are apparently incompetent and incapable of doing much other than sending you a bill. Vet any suggestions you receive thoroughly.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some scope repair houses that currently repair older scopes. You may have to call around to find one that will fix the scope, but I'm sure one of these guys will be able to help you.
Good luck.

Don

Earl Osborn at Phone# 623-847-4705 email is:
Shipping address:
Osborn Optical Systems
585 S. Dewey Road
Dewey, AZ 86327
Phone/Fax: 928-632-8717

ABO (USA), Inc.
2653 NW 20th Street
Miami, FL 33142
305-859-2010 Customer Service
305-860-4858 Warranty Service Information Line
305-372-8616 FAX

Mike Sextion scope repair
3324 south 76th west Ave. TULSA OK
918-4452286

Parson Scope service
2213Smith Rd
Box192
Ross OH 45061
513-867-0820
http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/
Parsons at psscopes@concentric.net.

Iron Sight Inc Redfield/Weaver (El Paso Scopes)
4814 South Elwood Ave
Tulsa, OK 74107
918-445-2001 or 918-521-7736

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,Thanks.really would like to get the set back shooting.was a gift from a deceased varmint hunter friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of older scopes that need repairs but when I checked with Parson's the charge was well over $100 apiece.

I bought a book on scope repair that wasn't too good but I've repaired several of them myself. Most of the old scopes weren't that well sealed anyway and if you take your time you can disassemble and fix them and save a bunch of $$.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tvfinak:
I have a number of older scopes that need repairs but when I checked with Parson's the charge was well over $100 apiece.

I bought a book on scope repair that wasn't too good but I've repaired several of them myself. Most of the old scopes weren't that well sealed anyway and if you take your time you can disassemble and fix them and save a bunch of $$.

That's interesting that you did your own scopes.
I too have a number of older scopes and am not interested in shelling out $100+ to have each one cleaned.
Can you provide the name of the book you bought so I can do them myself? Or, any other information you have learned in the process of doing your scopes?

Thank you,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
Have a Lyman Wolverine 8X 50s vintage which suddenly began giving improved cylinder patterns on a like vintage Sako 222(1/2"groups to 15")Who does best repairs on these scopes?Thanks.

Don't waste your money. Very often the "glue" that holds the lens group together has deteriorated and no amount of cleaning will correct it. Since it is a memento, have it framed.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice.Parsons would have been in the $150+ range.in desperation i tightened everything that looked like a screw slot or allen head&shes back to small groups&holding zero.