New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold varmint hunters reticle pros & cons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for opinions on Leup. varmint hunters reticle the one that looks like a heads up display.Is it too much of a good thing.?

I have a 6.5 x 20 EFR w/ a large dot (s.b. sillywett)My plan is to have Leupold replace the reticle w/ the varmint hunters or their LRV duplex reticle.

I plan to use this scope on a .223 for prairie dogs and paper punchin and on a .308 for paper and sillywett punchin.

In the field do the extra horizontal lines help or hinder ?I wonder if the short bottom post and 2 dots on the vertical (LRV) reticle won't suffice? Decisions Decisions thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a # of ballistic and rangefinding reticles, and i believe that the Leupold VH is right up there with the best of them for flexibility. It provides an excellent system of reference for both windage and elevation downrange, much better than other ballistic and ranging reticles that don't utilize a tree reticle system.

For turret spinners it provides another excellent system of reticle windage reference right along the horizontal axis with 3 1.77 MOA stadia either side of the reticle's vertical axis.

I'm sure that if u use the std. Ballistic Aiming System that Leupold has designed for the BAS reticles, it should match up well enuf, but for my uses (specialty handguns and VLD bullets), the reticle doesn't match up well. Nice thing about it is that Leupold supplies all the subtensions of their reticles in the catalog, so i just calculate a trajectory vs. subtension system that works great. For my Savage Striker 243 WSSM/115 gr. Berger my longest calcd. kill is 530 yds. in a 10 mph x-wind on a coyote.

Bottom line--If u like a more direct system of windage reference then go with the VH, if not then the LRV Duplex will work well enuf.

There is 1 disadvantage to the VH reticle in the 6.5-20X tho, and that is that Leupold chose to establish their reticle subtensions at about 18X or so instead of the scope's highest power for some strange reason.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sscoyote thanks for your input .I am still waiting on Leup. response to what rectiles are available for a 6 x 20 EFR. I will call this week. I looked thru a lot of scopes at the Tulsa gun show .The vh reticle did not seem as busy as I had first thought.
In Oklahoma in the summer 14 x 18 is about all the power needed because of mirage.
Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
The LRV reticle is a little less "busy" and provides references at convenient yardages (for my 6mm with 70 grain Noslers, it works out almost perfectly to 200, 300, 400, and 500 meters rather than yards, but that's fine.) Any attempt to provide a reference for windage is, almost by definition, going to be wrong, since wind can blow at any speed from any direction (and often more than one speed and direction at once over the course of a 500 yard shot). That is why I prefer the LRV to the Varmint Hunters reticle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek thanks for your incite . Shooting silhouette I too have learned the wind is seldom constant or predictable from one relay to the next.When we set up to shoot p.dogs we tried to have the wind at 6 or 12 o'clock which helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When we set up to shoot p.dogs we tried to have the wind at 6 or 12 o'clock which helps.

Your prairie dogs are more cooperative than mine Smiler

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now if they would only do the sit and stay thing !!