New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Firefly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone used a Bushnell Firefly such as the 4200 2.5x10x50 or one of the other Firefly model for low light hunting such as for a Leopard?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 3200's in 3x9x40 on a 30-06 and a 1.4x5 on a 45/70 lever action. I use them for deep woods hunting in evening and I am very happy with the firefly feature. When charged you can easily see it even in moonlight -- not that I am hunting then, but I checked to see if it works.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
When you zap it with a flashlight, how long does it last?

Does the entire recticule light up, or just the center?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put one (4200 model) on my Colt Light Rifle.

I haven't taken it out hunting yet, but I live rurally, and I've taken it out (at dusk) where I do hunt during the season.

It works very well...better than my regular (battery) illuminated reticles.

One thing I found: if you want minimal illumination of the reticle (for example if you really were hunting at night, not just dusk), use the small flashlight supplied with the scope to charge the luminous material on the crosshairs.
If on the other hand you want the best "glow" possible on the crosshairs (like at dusk), use a small (white) LED flashlight. The LED's really light that reticle up...lasts a good 20 minutes.
If you shine your flashlight into the occular right at sunset, your glow will last past (legal) shooting light.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
They scope comes with a small maglight, the directions say shine it in the scope for 1 minute. The whole reticle lights up a green color. Charging lasts an hour or so. long enough that you would need a spotlight to see game anyway. I tried it one evening with a 20 second shot from a spotlight, then looked up the "holler", the firefly was bright and again lasted about an hour. It would have been fine for coyote or fox if there was enough mmonlight or a spotlight to see the game with.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 4200's with the FF reticle and the center section does not light up, only the outer 2 sections. When charged with a good quality light for a minute or so, the reticle will stay charged for 20-30 minutes. The reticle is similar to Bushnell's 3-2-1 low light reticle. IMO, this is a great low light scope/reticle combination.