New
Find
Notify
Tools

holosight/eotech/red dot sight/?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a red dot sight to put on a .308. This rifle is currently set up as a scout rifle with the Burris scout scope and Ashley Outdoors forward mount. I've had problems with the scope completely whiting out due to glare in bright sunlight. I believen other posters brought this problem to light on another thread quite some time back. But I digress.

I've decided that I want to put a red dot sight on this rifle but there's just too many choices out there. I have experience with ACOGs and EOTECS but these are quite pricey. What is available out there that isn't a total POS and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've seen a bunch of these things in the $30.00 to $60.00 range and I suspect that they are junk. I also don't have $700-$900 to spend on an ACOG. What are some good middle of the road alternatives?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Meopta 1-4X26 on an AR that is fabulous! The 1 power is true 1 so it can be shot with both eyes open like an Aimpoint or Eotech BUT the real beauty is it can be turned up to 4 for those longer shots, best of both worlds. Retail is about 550.00. All the low dollar red dots are pretty much junk. I have a couple for fun on 22s but on a 308 they will never hold zero.
I have Aimpoints and ACOGs but like the Meopta the best.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold has a new 1x14mm red dot sight but I have only seen the ads, never used one.

I have used Eotech’s and they are GREAT!!!!!!

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I expected (knew) the low budget stuff was junk but really can't justify an ACOG. An EOTECH/HOLOSIGHT is probably within reach though.

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Not a holosight, but have You seen this?

http://www.titanium-gunworks.de/pdf/led_dt.pdf

available from Heritage Arms, SaltLake City

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple of notes - on a holosight make sure that the setting don't have to be reset everytime you turn it on. i.e. - on my older bushnell it comes on full brightest setting when you turn it on, then you have to turn it down so it doesn't blind you. when yu turn it back on it does'nt remember the setting. pain in the a-- They-re cheap, but don't overlook the tasco reddots. They've stood up really well in the pistol matches for the USPSA guys

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the EOTech holo sights, a 512 and a 552. They are used by military armies around the world and are very rugged. No problem with holding zero using them.
The 512 is smaller than the 552, so I have it mounted on a 22 Rimfire rifle. The larger 552 works well on a big bore for hunting.
I like the red dot that is project 50 yards out with zero parallax. They are very user friendly, and my take is they are the best holo sight made.
YMMV

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the Tasco optima? I've got one on an AR rifle mounted on top of an ACOG and really like it. I see them on Ebay all the time for around $100-$150. They usually have some knock offs for around $70. I haven't used one, but I've read a few reviews and people seem to like them. These little sights aren't made for hard use like a holosight, but they do hold a zero well and will work well for a casual shooter.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote