THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Scoping a .20 Practical on an AR platform: Recommendations please...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a .20 Practical on an AR platform: Recommendations please...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to scope a .20 Practical (.223 Rem necked down to .20 cal.) on an AR platform. This will be a coyote and chuck gun. It has a heavy, 18" bbl. Which scope do you guys recommend and why? Thanks for any advise.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint. They have illuminated reticles and are perfect for night shooting coyotes. They have various reticle choices, so find the one that you like the best. I use the red triangle.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I just put a Bushnell Legend 5 x 15 with a mildot reticle on my AR. This is my first AR, it has an 18" barrel, so I frankly don't really know what the right scope is. Mine's for prairie dogs and coyotes, similar to yours. I was shopping for price and this one's about $200.

After sighting it in I took it to the prairie dog fields and it shot like a laser beam, amazing. The scope's not really high end and I'd never used mildots before. After a few hours turning sod poodles into chunder, I REALLY liked the scope for the price.

Cranked down to 5X it has a good field of view and up to 15X with the objective adjusted properly it is clear enough for my purposes. The mil dots, after some practice, were very helpful for hold over and windage adjustments.

A higher dollar scope, if you have the cash, has got to be better than the Bushnell Legend but for the price I'm happy.

Best of luck finding the right scope for your .20 Practical. I read up on that round and it looks like a great alternative for extending the range an AR with light bullets.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote