New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning duster
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any one use canned air to blow lint dirt off scopes?
Thanks

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do and it works well. Don't shake the can when spraying otherwise you will spray the propellant on the lens and it can be hard to clean. However the lenspens work just as well in my opinion if you are careful to not use too much pressure and keep them clean. Remember most lens are damaged more by cleaning than often by use.

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make a lipstick type of brush that is camels hair, its handy and works well..Lins wipe from the eye glass boys is about as good as it gets and you can take them with you when hunting..Handy in Idahos inclimate wet, snowy and even hot weather, and in the sage brush or, horse back which is bad..but when hunting big game even very dusty lens won't cause you to miss a shot, unless your dealing with a mental block which some seem to do..Nothing is quit as bothersome as when somebody starts cleaning their scope lens with a good bull elk or deer standing broadside looking at you! faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Atkinson, I try not to clean my scopes any more often than I have to. (The likelihood that you won't see the critter well enough to shoot is not that big, really.) When I do, if no brush is at hand, I get a plain tissue and make a loose brush with one end, holding the rifle so any grit will fall out when the lens is tickled.

One of our new Teutonic scope booklets then advises to breath on the lens before cleaning it. Since I have doubts about putting human cooties on the glass, I boil the kettle, let it sit a minute, then let it breath on the lens a moment. Then I clean it with another clean, plain tissue.

I'm wary of commercial lens cleaners as one may have eaten the seals out of my Kahles, costing an expensive trip to Austria for it.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote