New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 10X SL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a Lyman 10X with target knobs. I have never seen one of these before and was wondering how rare they are and what the value might be? It this old a scope worth bumping to 20x?

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to own one, it is the silhouette model, it was a very good scope that held zero well from what I remember. I still own a 6X and a 2.5X they are good scopes. I had Pearsons Scope Service install a set of target turrets on a 6X and he was a good shop for Lymans scope mods and rebuilding of all kinds. I don't have his contact info anymore but you might try doing a search on the net or if somebody chimes in with the info I would certainly call him up for help.
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 8x scope (All american Permacenter). I like it a great deal. I too sent it to Parsons to have target turrents added (I think it was ~ $70 when I did it).

Mine has a cross hair and a 1 inch dot that I love for woodchuck hunting. I had it on my Rem 700 VS 22-250. The resolutionn is outstanding. I could see the wetness of a woodchuck's eye at 400 yards with it-no bull.

The only weakness to it, is that it is not a one piece tube. As I understand it, the front objective housing is screwed into the tube.. I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading about it.

The click adjustments are 1/3 moa per click on these scopes, not 0.25 moa, for your information.

Value? I would guess they run in the $100- $200 range, pending condition, and how bad you want it. I'd guess that $140-ish is a reasonable figure.

Parson Optical service was located in Ohio (may still be). He used to work at Lyman. He's good. I don't know if he boosts power or not. The name that I remember being associated with boosting magnification of Lyman scopes was Wally Siebert (Seibert?). You may have to check out the benchrest rifle websites for more info.

The 8 and 10x scopes may not have enough length in the tube to bump up to 20x. Not sure. Lyman did made a 20x All American, Permacenter scope. It may be cheaper to just try to track one of those down.