New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye Relief on Leupold Variables
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you guys mount your larger Leupold variable such as the 8.5x25? The eye relief changes so dratically that I have to eliminate either the top half or bottom half of the magnification range. I mounted it for about 12 power and I guess I'll leave it there. If I had it to do again, I would buy a straight 12 and save a couple hundred bucks.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I would set the ER on the highest power. How much difference is there from low to high? Got a Burris 6-24 that has about the same ER on low as it does on high, bout 1/8" difference.

FWIW, I've looked through them 8.5-25s, lets just say, I'll keep my Burris. Got 2 6-24s. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS I would contact Leupold,that sounds like there is a problem,they are great to work with and you feel like you became a family member when you talk to them.Give them an email or phone call.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted Hide Post
I second what Drop Shot said I have two 6.5 –20 Vari X III and do not have any problem with eye relief that was why I went with the leupy. It sounds like a problem with the scope. Is it new?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the newer variable scopes claim that they retain the same eye relief throughout the entire zoom range...but that feature has to be designed into the scope zooming mechanism in order to change the focal length of the erector lens system along with the magnification.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my vxiii 6.5x20x40efr.I mounted the scope so I could use it from 12x to 20x without moving my head much and never use it at less than 12x.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote