New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for .22 hornet??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of my last rifles to scope is a Browning A-bolt II Medallion in a .22 hornet. I've only used Leupold on my other Brownings (with the exception of a Browning 4x .22 scope on my T-bolt). The rifle has such a short barrel that I don't want to overpower it with a huge scope. So...any suggestions would be welcomed. Also, would a 2x7 rf special work?

Too much is just right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used a 3-9 lupy compact on mine

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Leupold 2-7 Compact or Compact Rimfire either should work like a charm. The Rimfire model will have, I think, a 60 yard preset parallax, but that's not particularly critical in taking longer shots.

However, as the A-bolt is a rather longish action for a Hornet, you need to check your mounting system to make sure that it will accomodate the very short body of the 2-7 Compact. If it won't and you can't get properly offset rings, you might want to move up to the 3-9 Compact to take advantage of its longer body.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice! I have decided on the Leupold 3x9 compact AO. I'm excited about shooting this gun even though I spent months trying to find a reasonably priced A-bolt Medallion grade .22 Hornet NIB. And now I'm shootin' it! I've never shot a .22 hornet before. Will it be a treat or a disappointment?

Too much is just right!

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I think you made the right choice getting a high quality compact scope for your 22 Hornet. I have a Burris 2x7 compact on my Browning 1885 LoWall in 22 Hornet. The size of the scope is nicely matched to the trim lines of the LoWall.

Yes, you will love the 22 Hornet. With the right ammo, it is a deadly gopher/small rodent gun out to 150 yards. Report and recoil is hardly more than 22rf.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have greatly enjoyed my contender in 22 Hornet. Lots of fun. Good luck with your new baby. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the choice of scope depend upon the accuracy of the rifle and the expected distance at which the rifle is going to be used. I find that about 18x is quite good for the Hornet at 200m - I like to aim at the eye.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trepur: I also have a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on my Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet!
It is indisputable that the more scope power one has on a Rifle the better "it" (they!) will shoot.
More scope power equals more accuracy in other words.
And the 22 Hornets I am familiar with have all needed ALL the help they could get.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I suppose it would be a personal preference for all. My 1947 M70 K Hornet sports a 10X El Paso Weaver K 10.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 3.5-10X40 sits atop my pre 64 Model 70 Hornet. Joe Young, do you ever have any extraction difficulties with your Hornet? I do and mine is a 1949.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Yes, & Yes. I agree with all posts & greatly appreciate your input. And AWESOME set up JOE!

Funny thing happened so far. I did get the 3x9EFR Leupold but have so many .22's that desperately needed the scope that it didn't make it to the Hornet. So...I happened to get a steal on a brand new VXII 3x9x40 & decided to throw it on for starters. At first I wasn't sure, but once to the shoulder I fell in love!

Sure, I could use more scope for some shooting. But for what I'll use it for...plinking, it's plenty of scope for now.

Too much is just right!

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whiteeyetattoo:
A 3.5-10X40 sits atop my pre 64 Model 70 Hornet. Joe Young, do you ever have any extraction difficulties with your Hornet? I do and mine is a 1949.

Mine is a 1947 with the cloverleaf tang. Back several decades ago, when I had the patience. I made the stock out of a piece of home county (Southern OH) maple. I inletted it so the wood formed the loading platform, thus making it a single shot. I have never had any extraction problems at all, and the extractor overides the cartridge head fine while chambering. The buttplate is burled walnut. My baby, pride and joy! It now has a Unertl 12X Ultra varmint scope, I feel it has earned it.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote