New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce Scope/Reticle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've convinced myself I need a Nightforce scope for a new long range 300 Win I acquired. The outfit will be used for 300+ yard shooting at whitetails. Any body have a suggestion which scope would be best from Nightforce? Also, does anyone have hunting experience with Nightforce and which reticle would you recommend?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the mil dot reticle on a 3.5 to 15 NXS and a NP-1RR reticle on a 5.5 to 22 NXS and 8 to 32 NXS. Lately I am buying mostly this reticle.

I use each for either prairie dog and coyote (although mostly coyote).

Most of my shooting is within 250 yd, so I haven't really used the range finding that each one is capable of.

Like the scopes for the ablity to see through the mirage at the higher power settings.

Only downside is that the scope does add ~ 2 lbs to the weight of the rifle

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that or the R2 reticle are my favorite deer reticles.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
congrats on a brilliant choice,
very wise move there thumb
last spring i bought a NSX 3.5x15 x50 scope with their np-1rr retical, i owned a 8x32x56 bench-rest with an r2 and it was stellar.
they make many reticles check em all out.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of trading my kimber 8400+ my vx3 for a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NP-R2. i really like the look of it.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what you need the NPR R2 will work fine and the 3.5 x 15 x 50 . There is a good explanation of this Reticle on Precision Long Range Hunting .com
I have 2 one is NPR2 3.5 x 15 x56 and a 5.5 x 22 x56 in the NPR1-RR. I am using the 22 power on my 7mm STW .

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS, I think it is worth your while to check out ordering your scope from Lilja barrels. They turned my order around unbelievably fast.

The Night Force Data that came with my first one--about 60 days ago, says that the NF employees pick the NP-1 as the reticle for hunting. I have one with the NP-2 also, and it is fairly easy to range with, but I've found I just use a laser, and like the NP-1 better as a hunting reticle.

Good luck.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
LJS, I think it is worth your while to check out ordering your scope from Lilja barrels. They turned my order around unbelievably fast.

The Night Force Data that came with my first one--about 60 days ago, says that the NF employees pick the NP-1 as the reticle for hunting. I have one with the NP-2 also, and it is fairly easy to range with, but I've found I just use a laser, and like the NP-1 better as a hunting reticle.

Good luck.

i think the np1 is a little 'clogged up' for my likings. probably the most popular ones they sell are the mil-dot npr1 and npr2

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote