Find
Notify
Tools

Neck strap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted
Two months to go before the family heads for Tanzania. Buying the little stuff now. Any suggestions for a comfortable binocular neck strap for hunting and game viewing?

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have switched to these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/sta...cat200007&hasJS=true

not necessarily the Cabelas brand. You can get the Butler Creek or others. They are very comfortable and keep your binoculars from swinging around and getting in the way. You will forget you have them on. After a hunting trip I have driven home and been surprised when undressing that I still had the binoculars on.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A harness system is great if you're not wearing layers that need to be shed or put on as the weather/temps change, but if you are layering, I think they're a PITA.

Lately, I've been using the factory neckstrap that came with my Ultravids and carrying them "safari/African" style, which means they're carried kind of like a woman carries a purse (strap over one shoulder and bino carried under the off arm). It works great and takes the weight off your neck. Even though the strap length is fairly long, it keeps them close to your body while hiking and even crawling.

FWIW, Wal-Mart sells the Crooked Horn bino harness for $14.95....

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The neoprene ones are hot and sweaty. The nylon ones act like a saw blade on your neck all day. I had a strap that came with my Bausch and Lombs that could be use at Abu Graib prison. I wish the head of Bausch & Lomb had to wear them one hour a day. The best and only kind I use are the cotton blue ones marketed by Swift. They are cool, lightweight and very comfortable. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote