Find
Notify
Tools

anti fog wipes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Anyone knows if anti fog wipes might damage the glass coating on scopes / binos?

I am just about to buy these ones (great price for this product) but I have learned the hard way that cheap things are sooner or later expensive ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Wipe-N-Clear-Lens-Cleaning-Clot...p1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Anyone has tried them?

Experienced advices will be appreciated

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I am always concerned with any "wet" products on optics. The coatings tend to be what ensures they remain clear and bright. Most of my experience with optics is with telescopes. I have NEVER used anything other then a fine brush with dry air to "dust off" the lenses. If I mess up the coatings it will cost me hundreds of dollars to have them cleaned up and recoated.

Just call me paranoid but that's my 2 cents.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't as it's only isopropyl alchohol and water, though I wonder about the paper. What makes a lens is the coatings .Great care should be used to prevent damage to the coatings. First blow off the dust , then carefully brush of any remaining. If necessary use a liquid cleaner and paper designed for lenses. Never apply liquid to the lens , only to the paper.NEVER rub !!! I've only used brush, liquid and paper designed for cameras.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've carried some of the bausch &lomb packets of lens cleaners in my pockets for quite awhile. they're cheap, available at most any drug store and do a good job clean gunk from by optics when in the bush.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander, I was wondering the same thing. I have been doing some coyote hunting lately, (local ranchers been complaining bout them). Its so hot and humid, that after looking through my Nikon bino's for just seconds, they start to fog up. The left lens is fogging quicker/worse than the right one. I got to get something...... I hunted this morning and it's driving me nuts!!!

Posts: 32 | Location: NC | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gander MTN had Browning "MAGIC DOT LENS CLEANER". I couldn't find it on Brownings website to post a link to the product. Code # 127-001. Supposed to be the "Ultimate fog prevention". It may prevent fog, but it left this horrible streaking/coating/residue. I was thinking that for less than $2 it was too good to be true. I think it should be called Brownings Magic DoNt Lens Cleaner rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Nikon anti-fog wipes yesterday at Bass Pro. I'll let you know next week how they work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went coyote hunting today. There is a slight film on the glass after using the Nikon anti-fog wipes, but I could not tell that it messed up any of the clarity. A huge improvement over the "Magic Dot" junk. The glass didn't fog up at all, though it was not as hot and humid today as it has been. This product seems to work well, but $7 for three wipes, it should!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Bar soap is the anti-fog I have used for my whole life.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote